Stihl 017 oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mart ol Fart

Reaction score
I got this Stihl 017 saw new just before Christmas 1995 in Maryland to trim the maples and firs on my lot as well as cut firewood. It worked great for a lot of years but then some problems started when I moved to Tucson where the climate and the wood are harder on saws.... Bar oil leaks were the biggest initial issue, but tolerable.... Replaced the bar oil tank (fill nozzle threads cracked, probably because I thought that's where the leak was and tightened the cap too tight) which was a real pain (AV/handle)! Eventually the carburetor diaphragm got stiff and needed replacement.... But, this last problem was more of a big deal; no oil on the bar causing the chain to freeze up. I knew how this saw worked and realized I need to shut it down before I burned it up. I had the service manual from the oil tank replacement, but it wasn't clear how the bar oil circuit worked, especially how the oil pump is driven by the "worm" gear under the clutch! Stihl should provide a better diagram and operational description! After looking through a lot of posts and some videos (here's the best one I saw for getting at the worm gear in a similar saw: STIHL MS 180 Chainsaw Clutch Removal & Installation - YouTube), I got to the worm gear which is actually a nylon wheel under the clutch with a spring (really a wire tang) that is attached and turned via a notch in clutch cover (so that oil is only pumped when the chain is in motion). Anyway, the worm gear was stuck and kinda messed up by debris that had gotten inside... This saw was built before the p/n 1121 162 1001 Cover washer (located over the worm, under the clutch) was introduced so it's more exposed to debris (and the clutch failure it was apparently designed to protect against). The worm was frozen and the spring tang was worn flat at the end where it had broken free/worn off from the clutch cover so I yanked out and cleaned up the worm gear and dressed the deformed cog line and bent out the tang so it would ride in the clutch cover notch again.... The whole thing turns freely and pumps oil now. I ordered new parts because I know this fix is only temporary...

My question is should I get the new clutch with the the cover or will this saw die before I'm likely to see this problem again? Thanks!!!

Back