Stihl 018 carb.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before but I'm wondering what carburetor I can use to replace the existing one on my Stihl 018. It has a Zama on it that has no adjustments except the idle speed. I'm thinking it would run better with something that can be adjusted on both high and low sides. Anybody know of a bolt on?

I was looking for one for a 021 I googled it and found 20 or so websites that offer a variety of carbs for those saws not sure if that helps you but its worth a try

I was looking for one for a 021 I googled it and found 20 or so websites that offer a variety of carbs for those saws not sure if that helps you but its worth a try

I'm sure there are several that will fit the saw, but the linkage on these things are to where you have to have a carb made for a Stihl or one you could modify to the Stihl linkage. I just can't understand a saw maker that would make a saw that you can't adjust the carb on, things age and people cut trees at different altitudes so the carb would need adjusting, I don't see how this one would adjust itself.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are several that will fit the saw, but the linkage on these things are to where you have to have a carb made for a Stihl or one you could modify to the Stihl linkage. I just can't understand a saw maker that would make a saw that you can't adjust the carb on, things age and people cut trees at different altitudes so the carb would need adjusting, I don't see how this one would adjust itself.

The 017, 018, MS170 and MS180 are low end homeowner saws. They make them as idiot proof as possible.

The 017, 018, MS170 and MS180 are low end homeowner saws. They make them as idiot proof as possible.

Well, I'm a low end homeowner and it won't run for me. I've tried cleaning it out, changing diaphragms, etc. It seems like it's running too lean. It doesn't have an impulse hose and the intake appears to be on tight. I might try checking the fuel line and filter when my patience comes back to me. For now the thing is parked while I work on something worthwhile.
That thing has a removable jet in it, wonder what would happen if I enlarged it a bit?

If I have to tell you one more time about the EPA I am taking you to the wood shed. (Oh wait can't do that anymore either).

I generally try to ignore the EPA every chance I get...the EPA's main goal is to make government bigger and put our industries at a disadvantage to other countries. Maybe they mean well but I doubt it.

Post a picture of your saw, and the carb, and i can try to look out for a 3 screw carb for you, i have like 200 carbs around, from huskies and stihls but they all look so identical that i could use some codes/cast marks to identify one for you in case you want one....no cost, ill pay shipping, and you send me some saw junk in trade ?

I generally try to ignore the EPA every chance I get...the EPA's main goal is to make government bigger and put our industries at a disadvantage to other countries. Maybe they mean well but I doubt it.
I feel you did not understand my comment. I was trying to explain why your saw runs lean and why it is not adjustable. Most new homeowner saws are lean. I was not endorsing the EPA

Last edited:
No, I understood, just adding a comment. I also understand that government should stick to what it does best....NOTHING.
You did write this:
I just can't understand a saw maker that would make a saw that you can't adjust the carb on, things age and people cut trees at different altitudes so the carb would need adjusting, I don't see how this one would adjust itself.
The answer is EPA!
As for government doing nothing, Well I like the roads to drive and the military to make a country strong. The post office is handy even with the rates, fire and police are necessary sometimes, but mostly I am a hands off guy too. Still to say "nothing"??? Are you young and impetitious???

You did write this:
I just can't understand a saw maker that would make a saw that you can't adjust the carb on, things age and people cut trees at different altitudes so the carb would need adjusting, I don't see how this one would adjust itself.
The answer is EPA!
As for government doing nothing, Well I like the roads to drive and the military to make a country strong. The post office is handy even with the rates, fire and police are necessary sometimes, but mostly I am a hands off guy too. Still to say "nothing"??? Are you young and impetitious???

Why do we need government to do these things? All it does is add a layer of bureaucracy on top of what is getting done. Yeah, I guess I blamed the saw maker when they were doing what they were ordered to do. Government doesn't do our roads around here, they hire someone else to do it, so we have to pay the government and the construction company. Problem is, we have a big government to hire a smaller construction company. I wouldn't have used the Post Office as an example...

Hi all,
Replaced carb on my (low end homeowner) 018 and it is short on air. I noticed the new chinese carb has an air intake on the top (see photo). Do I need to drill out the corresponding piece in the intake manifold so as it can draw air through this new intake??? I notice it stalls if you block the hole. In fact it wont even start if you put all the covers on. Have tried a second chinese carb and it wont even start with that on.
It's running like crap at high revs and chucking out loads of smoke which means its running rich (it's the type without the H and L adjusters).
I think this new chinese carb maybe a pile of junk. Any advice appreciated.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20170828_171643.jpg
    20170828_171643.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
Here is the tech bulletin.
Drilled out the inlet manifold and it's running sweet. After running at WOT all the smoke cleared too. Think it was just clogged up as I was trying to start it with the faulty carb. Thanks again for you assistance. cheers. Darren

Latest posts

Back