stihl 018

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got this 018 I use as a climbing saw and the chain oiler isn't oiling very much. Changed the oil filter, no improvement. Cleaned out all the holes, no improvement. Any other suggestions short of taking the whole ???? thing apart? (Never had this problem w/ Husky. ) Thanks

There have been problems with Husky oilers, too; it's definitely not a brand thing.  Stihl saws of late have been oiling much less than (usually) Husky users are used to, but that doesn't mean they aren't oiling enough.  Your 018 isn't oiling very much, but is it enough to actually do the job?  After making a long cut, is there oil on the drivers as the chains comes out of the bar and wraps the drive sprocket?  If so, it should be enough, if not, maybe we can virtually troubleshoot it.

Glen

Its been a problem to where the bar and chain get pretty hot and on a hot day it may be seizing up some. There is no oil on the sprocket ( if thats what you mean) and don't see any on chain. II've ran it with the bar off and theres a little coming out but really slow and apparently not enough.
This is all without a fliter. I suppose I gor some crud in there somewhere and caused a blockage somewhere. Not familiar with that stuf so now what.( Im not afraid to take it apart) Any suggestions?
Thanks

There needn't be any oil on the cutters, that's not what it's for.  And it's not so much a cooling medium either.  A hot bar/chain can be caused by less-than-perfect chain condition mainly including proper cutter sharpening (and depth gauge setting) and by bent or dinged driver tangs.  Improper tension may also be a culprit.

You haven't said there's no oil on the drive tangs as it leaves the bar on the underside unless that's what you mean by "and don't see any on chain".  Please clarify that and the condition of the chain and bar.

Running the saw very much with no filter on the pickup is probably not a good idea, but at any rate, you're not looking for a jet stream of oil to fly out the discharge hole.

Glen

oiler

How much oil are you using per tank of fuel? Should be half or better.
The problem most likely is at the pump and hose connection on the bottom side od the saw. Remove the handle frame to get at it. remove the elbow connector. Note the depth and position ot the pump in the hole, it must be replaced in the same location.
Put a screw in the end of the pump (5mmX .8). Pull the pump out of the case (may come out hard). Clean the pump, usually the slot in the side of the pump is plugged. Clean the cavity, pickup hose, output channel in case, oil tank, and elbow. Reassemble correctly. This saw should pump a noticable amount of oil with the bar off

Not even using a 1/4 tank oil per tank of gas. Chain is relatively new and bar is in good shape. I'll try taking out the pump and cleaning it. Thanks guys!

Sihltech , you out there?
I tood the oileer out of my 018 and cleaned everything like you said and still (stihl) nothing. Do ya spose I need a new oiler and how much are the lil -----"s?

worm

Check the oil pump drive worm for wear. The grooves should look good and the drive tang should not slip around the plastic gear in the driven direction.
Pumps may be about 25 bucks, but I have only ever had to replace 1 in an 018/180.

How do I get to the oil pump worm gear? The teeth on the gear of the oil pump seem fine. Plus, now that I took it apart and cleaned everything its not pumping oil at all. I marked the 5mm screw for depth and I think I put the slot in the right direction. If you could be so kind could you tell me the specs. so I can make sure I reinstalled it right? I also checked the line from the tank to the elbow and its all clear. Thanks.

pump

If you put it back the same depth you will be fine.
You must remove the clutch to get tp the worm. When you get the clutch off,NO AIR WRENCH, notice the position of the pump to the worm. The idea is to engage the worm without binding.

Does it matter which way the slot on the oil pump is facing when you reinstall it? I der forgot which way it was.

I must confess, I use my impact wrench.........

Forgive me Stihltech, I am a sinner.
Evil.

Wretched......

I also blew up a Ryobi trimmer with ether once.....

And what's worse..............

I enjoyed it.

What is my penance?

Originally posted by Fish
I must confess, I use my impact wrench.........

Forgive me Stihltech, I am a sinner.
Evil.

Wretched......

I also blew up a Ryobi trimmer with ether once.....

And what's worse..............

I enjoyed it.

What is my penance?

If it feels good it, then it must be good.:angel:

The ether I huff before working on Ryobis, the blowing them up
just follows.
Carb cleaner gives me a headache, and dain brammage

I killed my Stihl! Got tired of screwing around with the oiler and took it into the dealer. He said someone took the clutch off and didn't reconnect some wire and so it whipped a hole in the oil tank housing. Would take 160.oo to fix it and I paid 225.00 for it. Thing is I never took the clutch off. It musta came loose by itself (whatever it was) and beat the hole open.
So the saw is trashed and was only about two years old. He said he would'nt charge me if he could keep the saw for parts. Great.

Took the oiler out and cleaned, cleaned tank out, made sure little rubber elbow was clear put back together. Did this several times cause after I put it back together it did'nt work. I remember you saying to get to the worm gear I had to take the clutch out but I never got that far before I got tired of messing with it and brought it to the dealer. I just shined a flash light down the oiler hole to look at the worm gear and it looked OK.

Back