stihl 018

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wire

Is he talking about the oil pump worm drive tang that fits into the clutch drum to drive the pump? I think we just solved the original problem. It has to fit into the drum. If it didn't, the clip would be very hard to get on the end of the crank. It may have been loose or broken. You have to take the clutch off the inspect it.

I believe so. So could that come out and cut a hole in the oil case? I don't know how that would have come out unless from the saw getting smacked around in the tree. Don't recall dropping it or anything like that. Anyway, its a bummer and I'm out a spare saw. :(

case

Possible to post a pic of the case? I would be interested why it can't be repaired. I know I am not supposed to repair such things, but I am sure many a tech has come up with some repairs for the unrepairable part.
Knowing that the case is not part of the motor, I would wonder.......

"someone took the clutch off and didn't reconnect some wire and so it whipped a hole in the oil tank housing."

This sound a little strange, almost like human error.
It would be nice to see what really happend.

Mange

I left the saw at the dealer for him to use as parts in exchange for his labor cost to tell me the saw was junked, so I don't have any pictures. I'm beginning to think that it was probably that in the first place cause I'd been using it and all the sudden it seemed like the oiler was'nt working properly, ie not enough oil getting to the bar. Then I screwed around with it to make sure all the flow paths were cleat, etc. and it did'nt oil at all. Then I took it to the dealer and he says there's a hole in it and it'll cost me 160.00 to fix. I say Ok forget it what do I owe ya for lookin at it he says well I can just keep the saw for parts and we'll call it even. Instead of shelling out money I let him keep the saw. Dumb move? I dunno. Same guy charged me 20.00 to make a chain for my husky. Rip off? I think.
Also he said he's tried gluing the holes shut and the oil eats away at it and it'll leak again, etc., etc.

I had the exact problem with my 018. I took it to the dealer and he took off the bar/chain and blew carb. cleaner back through the oil port (where the saw meets the bar). If you manually move the clutch while spraying, you should get to where it's a clean shot through the pump (the carb. cleaner will stop spraying back at you). That's when you know the cleaner is getting through.

He put oil back in it, started it, and it worked perfectly. A chunk of sawdust at the pump pickup, I guess. I flushed the tank, then refilled with fresh oil. I'll try it again very soon.

Sorry to hear about your parts saw.

Well since then I've acquired a couple of used Huskies. have'nt had any problems with them yet. They take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Latest posts

Back