Stihl 020 AVP Disassembly/Reassembly help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor Hodgson

Reaction score
Hi there,Please forgive me for any mistakes but I,m new to all this.I'm a 64 yr old in the UK looking for some information on how to take my old Stihl 020AVP apart to get at the carburettor to replace the gaskets and clean it out etc.I bought the saw in 1984 and it's been fine in use but lately I have to spray starting fluid into the air intake to get it to run so,I've managed to contact Walbro for some info on the carburettor (WA-1D) and found a carb refurb kit on Amazon as I suspect that the carb is gummed up as I have never had the saw apart.So if anyone can advise me on my problem I would be most grateful.

If it'll start, drain the fuel tank and then run the engine at idle until it dies. That will use the fuel in the carb. Then it won't piddle fuel all over your work bench when you remove the carb. If it won't start consider working in a shallow pan to catch the inevitable gas spill. I can do motorcycle carbs all day without spilling a drop but saw carbs always seem to make a mess.

I don't know the 020 specifically but I have removed carbs on many saws. You'll need to remove the air filter and any plastic body work that blocks acess to the carb. Then pull the fuel line off. Undo the carb's mounting nuts or clamp that attaches it to the inlet manifold. Pull the carb out a little and unhook the throttle linkage. Take pics first if you don't think you will remember how things went together. Ask on the "beg for manuals" thread for an 020 shop manual. It probably will not tell you how to remove the carb unless the process is unusual as it's meant for mechanics. But it'll have pics of how things should go together.

I use spray carb cleaner to clean out the tiny passages in the carb. Be careful when you take it apart as there are tiny easily damaged parts.

That's a funky process assuming it's like my 020T AVE?

The fuel feed's some kinda push in nipple that mates the fuel tank to the carb feed.

As I recall yu have to disassemble a lot to access the carb.

Very finicky saw, but a real powerhouse when everything's just so.

A factory manual's a must.

Ethanol tainted fuel really gums up carb's n fuel lines.

I haven't had to mess with mine since I started using high octane racing fuel mixed with Stihl's silver bottle synthetic oil.

Can you post a pic of an AVP, never heard of one and I'm curious whether it's the rear trigger version of my AVE?

Jomoco

Loosen all of the starter/tank/shroud unit bolts - the ones on the left side and top of the saw are visible, but there is one hidden below/in front the muffler on the right side... Do not remove the smaller bolts holding the tank halves together!
Then, before splitting the starter/tank/shroud unit from the engine, remove the nuts holding the carburetor studs in the air filter housing. To separate, use a plastic hammer to knock on the studs to slowly separate the carb from the starter/tank/shroud unit - if you just pull off the tank/shroud you will destroy the boot connecting the carburetor to the engine... It is a bit tricky and cumbersome.
Good luck!

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my email I never thought that I would receive so much help to my problem.Yours,Trevor.

That's a funky process assuming it's like my 020T AVE?

The fuel feed's some kinda push in nipple that mates the fuel tank to the carb feed.

As I recall yu have to disassemble a lot to access the carb.

Very finicky saw, but a real powerhouse when everything's just so.

A factory manual's a must.

Ethanol tainted fuel really gums up carb's n fuel lines.

I haven't had to mess with mine since I started using high octane racing fuel mixed with Stihl's silver bottle synthetic oil.

Can you post a pic of an AVP, never heard of one and I'm curious whether it's the rear trigger version of my AVE?

Jomoco
IMG_20180903_124004474.jpg

i wouldn`t want to do a carb remove and rebuild on more than one of these 020`s in a single day. They require great gobs of patience and only get slightly easier after doing a half dozen take downs, great saws while running correctly but the fuel systems in them have timed out by now. Used to see 4 -5 every firewood season for many years but not many in use around here currently. Could not get fuel lines from Stihl the last few saws I did and that plug in part of the line gets looser fitting every season.

Many thanks for your E-Mail and help,just looked at the YouTube vids that you showed in your mail "BRILLIANT" now I know what bolts and screws to remove even though my saw is the 020 AVP with the professional handle that looks to be the only difference from the one you show.Photo of my saw enclosed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180903_124004474.jpg
    IMG_20180903_124004474.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back