Stihl 020AV pawl springs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchebs

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 020AV saw that is not engaging when pulling the cord. I removed the rewind starter and both pawl springs were laying in the flywheel. The service manual says to remove the bolts holding the pawl and springs to the flywheel. From what I found, it seems like most folks take the flywheel off and use a punch to remove these bolts. Can the springs be replaced without removing the flywheel?

Attachments

• s020av_fwpawl.PNG
    s020av_fwpawl.PNG
    486.8 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 13
Just take the block by your local Stihl dealer and have them pop off the flywheel for you.
Most would do it for free.
HarleyT - Appreciate the response. I guess I not concerned with actually taking the flywheel off as much as, do I have to in order to replace the springs.

Yes +1
And unfortunately the pins and pawls are NLA. Not sure on the springs. The pawls tended to break on those little powerhouses. Better do some spring searching before you get time invested.

I was able to find springs on ebay. This saw was my Dad's and it makes me happy that its back up and running again.
Appreciate the help from everyone!

Latest posts

Back