Stihl 020t chainsaw!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrooster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a Stihl 020t saw at a auction that was torn apart in a box. Everything appears to be there including the bar and chain. After doing a search on these saws it appears to be plaged with carburetor problems. The carb on this saw is a walbro 326 that is not fully adjustable. Can anyone tell me of a carb that works well on this saw that can still be bought that isnt discontinued. Ive searched ebay and google but the carbs Ive written down from posts Ive searched for dont seem to be easy to find.The saw looks well used so I'm going to replace the seals and all lines and the carb boot with new parts along with a new carb and see what happens. The muffler screen has already been removed. I just gave 15.00 for it so I can afford to invest what it takes to make it a good saw again. Thanks Rick!

Last edited:
The WT-326 is not prone to problems at all. It is a quality carb unlike the POS chinese Zama carbs on the newer 200T`s. The only problem is that it`s a fixed jet with no Hi adjustment. If You want a fully adjustable carb, get a WT-215 from a 021/023/025 or MS 210/230/250. Here is one You will have to swap the throttle and choke shafts from the WT-326 over to the WT-215 and rotate the fuel inlet elbow 90 degrees. I am running this setup on my 020T and it works great! I hate Zama carbs.
Nice job getting a 020T for $15 BTW. They are a great saw. I like them better than the 200T because they don`t have those ridiculous flip caps.

thanks for the tips. I do want to use fully adjustable carburetors on all my saws if possible. Makes for a easier to tune saws. Rick.

Last edited:
Walbros are just as trouble-prone as Zamas and play up just as much if not more. The WT326 fixed hi jet carb is too lean for a 200T and needs it's #50 jet replaced with a size #53 for perfect performance. But possibly is OK with the 020T engine which doesn't breathe as well as the more potent 200T engine. The 200T revs up quicker and higher than an 020T.

Jump from an 020T on to a 200T and you feel the extra sting immediately. Also the nasty accel-pump carbs aren't the only type that wear out on these little hi-strung rockets. Just the normal adjustable or fixed hi-jet types commonly crap out too. My brand-new WT326 lasted about 6 months before losing the plot for some mysterious reason. As did a couple of other carbs previously.. Running a Zama non-accel S16A carb for now and all runs sweet. So far. touch wood...

Back