Stihl 021 oil leaking at oil line connector won't stop. suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river.sawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There is a leak coming from the oil line connector on the underside of the saw, I replaced the oil line, filter, and the oil connector but the leak won't stop. Looking for suggetions on how to stop the leak? Thanks.

Firstly you need to find the leak spot(s) Assuming its not the line again, strip the easily removed bits of the saw (chain/bar/clutch) , clean everything up, fill the oil tank up and look for drips.
If it's a metal bodied saw and there are holes in the tank or body of the saw you will need to scrupulously clean it up and use something like JB weld to seal the hole - carefully follow instructions. Holes/leaks in plastic saws are a PITA to fix - small leaks can be sealed (at least for a while) with a hot soldering iron.

I had a couple of pin hole leaks under my drive sprocket on my (12 year old when I bought it) 076 that I sealed with JB Weld and 17 years later they are still sealed

I have had to use a SLIGHT smear of sealer (anaerobic) on all the underside connections occasionally on that model saw. Be very careful when installing the plastic connector. The oring may not seat in the pump hole.

That's good to know and a good tip. I took a look at it last night, the connector is now not leaking. I am noticing oil coming out a square hole on the underside near the connector, looking into the hole you can see the engine pan and that is oily, too.

Back