Stihl 021

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came today. No real surprises.
I am happy with the condition of the crankcase housing. So it should be a good one to build.
It did have the sprocket, cup washer and c clip.
Still need to decide on aftermarket parts or used oem.

uploadfromtaptalk1437606655841.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1437606673433.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1437606655841.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1437606733428.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1437606767860.JPG

I would use whatever you can get cheap. The top handle, aftermarket is the way to go because these break frequently. Other stuff ask around. I have quite a few parts for the 1123 series saws. (021, 023, 025, MS210, MS230, MS250, etc.)
Remember you can't mix and match the orange parts. Is the coil gone or just the plug lead? Aftermarket is a good source for coils too.

If you're not in a hurry with the build you can get some decent aftermarket parts on 'the bay. They have great prices on parts. I didn't read if you were going to use this saw yourself or sell it. If you're gonna sell it it might be good to use oem parts on the outside, like starter covers. Aftermarket parts seem to work just fine but might be harder to sell.

I have an OEM 025 jug for sale (very clean) and a piston that's ok-not great.

It should convert your saw to something like 10cc bigger in the same case.

There's conflicting views about the 021/023/025 cranks. Some say they're all the same, some say the 021 is a shorter stroke.

I have loads of almost every part for that saw. Including some new and never used ones.

Check with definative dave on board here and see what all he has to offer.he has farmtec parts reasonable and he's a damn good dude to deal with.

I would use whatever you can get cheap. The top handle, aftermarket is the way to go because these break frequently. Other stuff ask around. I have quite a few parts for the 1123 series saws. (021, 023, 025, MS210, MS230, MS250, etc.)
Remember you can't mix and match the orange parts. Is the coil gone or just the plug lead? Aftermarket is a good source for coils too.
Thanks, It's definitely going to be built on the cheap.
I am looking at the aftermarket handles and they look good.
It is missing the coil.
Mix and match the orange parts. Do you mean you cant put a MS210 air box cover on a 021.?
Or do you mean the color difference between the years.

This is a pic of the 021, which is a 1991.
I borrowed the air box cover from my 1999 021, and put it on to show the color difference.

uploadfromtaptalk1437625674662.jpg

If you're not in a hurry with the build you can get some decent aftermarket parts on 'the bay. They have great prices on parts. I didn't read if you were going to use this saw yourself or sell it. If you're gonna sell it it might be good to use oem parts on the outside, like starter covers. Aftermarket parts seem to work just fine but might be harder to sell.
Thanks, I'm building the saw for my own use.
No hurry on the build. So if I need to order some of the parts from China to save money, I'm fine with that.
Starter cover I will probably go with used OEM.
I don't want the saw to look mismatched.

I have an OEM 025 jug for sale (very clean) and a piston that's ok-not great.

It should convert your saw to something like 10cc bigger in the same case.

There's conflicting views about the 021/023/025 cranks. Some say they're all the same, some say the 021 is a shorter stroke.

I have loads of almost every part for that saw. Including some new and never used ones.
Thanks, I thought about using a 025 jug, I wasn't sure if I needed to change the crank or not.
Until I tear the saw down I'm not sure which way I'm going with this build.

On ebay they have kits to rebuild these saws including just about anything you need, you might be able to buy it all for 20-30 dollars..I couldn't find an aftermarket starter for mine so went ahead and got the AM which works real well, just doesn't say Stihl on it.

Thanks, It's definitely going to be built on the cheap.
I am looking at the aftermarket handles and they look good.
It is missing the coil.
Mix and match the orange parts. Do you mean you cant put a MS210 air box cover on a 021.?
Or do you mean the color difference between the years.
I meant you can't mix and match the orange parts of the MS series and the 0 series.

I have an 021/023 that went through a flood. Most of the mechanical parts are toast, but the plastics and such should be ok. Let me know what parts you'd be interested in, or maybe I'd sell the whole thing?

Here's a pic of my MS250, basically built from AM parts except the main case and handle, those are Stihl.View attachment 438008 View attachment 438009 I think the crank and rod are also original. The primer bulb doesn't work because I changed it over to an 2 screw Walbro carb.
That looks good. When I tear mine down I will make the decision on AM or used OEM.
Probably be a combo of both.

The 021 is a great little saw for those small jobs such as trail making or climbing. Its a perfect lil saw to keep in your truck or out Atving. It responds well to a few basic mods.
John
I like this series of saw. I bought a 021 in 1999. I still have it, and use it regularly.

Back