Stihl 021

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 021/023 that went through a flood. Most of the mechanical parts are toast, but the plastics and such should be ok. Let me know what parts you'd be interested in, or maybe I'd sell the whole thing?
Thanks, I will let you know.
My Dad passed away last week, so all my projects are on hold for awhile.
That's why I haven't updated this thread.

My goal for 2018 is to finish some of my chainsaw projects. This saw was number one on my list, it was made in 1991.
I bought a parts saw from a forum member and it is the same year saw.

So with parts from the one I just got, I was able to almost finish my saw.
I'm not quite done. The handle and recoil still need more cleaning, and I still need to fire it up and adjust the carb.
The only new parts I've bought so far are an oem Stihl tank vent, and an AM Farmertech brake handle.
The only non oem part on the saw is that handle, everthing else is oem Stihl.

My saw already had a new fuel line, and the part saw had a newish piston, rings, intake, and impulse line.
Am I happy with the build? It's winter and some of the parts I didn't get as clean as I normally would, so it
will come back down in the spring for more cleaning.
So here are a few pics from my smartphone.20180116_133313.jpg20180116_153251.jpg20180116_171532.jpg20180116_151529.jpg20180116_171447.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

It runs, and sounds good, but I need to tune it. Only had a few minutes free today, and the rain started before I could finish. Snow to follow.
I put my Stihl 16" bar on it but I need to buy a new chain for it.
Didn't have a chance to check the oiler.

Does anyone know if this saw uses a muffler gasket? Neither of my 1991 Stihl 021 saws had one when I took them apart.
20180117_161348.jpg

what air filter is that i had 2 different 021's and neither looked like that one was a foam filter older one then it had a flock material i still have that one on a shelf ... i never saw a filter like that one...

what air filter is that i had 2 different 021's and neither looked like that one was a foam filter older one then it had a flock material i still have that one on a shelf ... i never saw a filter like that one...
I've only had one saw with a filter like that and looked it up but I didn't write it down. I do think it was from Stihl though.

I don't have an IPL, but that filter was used on the early 021, and more then likely 023, and 025.

I don't have an IPL, but that filter was used on the early 021, and more then likely 023, and 025.

I have a feeling there were a few different ones...like i said i had 2 different ones from that my self...

I imagine the one pictured is the better one. The ones I have now are the clip on ones that always seem to come loose..
This seems to be designed more like a pro filter. I like it.
I wish the Chinese would clone this style filter. It would probably sell well.

The air filter pictured is the older version for that saw. Part number 1123 120 1620 and has been replaced supposedly because the round filter has more filter area and requires less maintenance. I don't know if Stihl has any of the old ones left or not.

I think when I bought a new muffler for mine that a gasket was included, kind of a metal thing.
Curiosity over came me. I bought a Stihl 021 new in 1999 and it's never been apart.
So I pulled the muffler and no metal piece or gasket behind the muffler.
So it must of been after 1999 when they used those parts.

Curiosity over came me. I bought a Stihl 021 new in 1999 and it's never been apart.
So I pulled the muffler and no metal piece or gasket behind the muffler.
So it must of been after 1999 when they used those parts.

I bought an aftermarket muffler for mine. It's possible the OEM didn't have one but AM did?

Latest posts

Back