stihl 023 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken scope

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 023 that has never seemed to oil good. Took the blade off and it oils good for a minute and starts blowing out air bubbles. I noticed that the oil filter looks like it is floating out of the bottom of tank at half full. is this normal? I took the clutch out and checked the round plastic piece that turns the little pump gear and it appears to be okay. Any detailed ideas would be appreciated.

broken scope said:
I have a 023 that has never seemed to oil good. Took the blade off and it oils good for a minute and starts blowing out air bubbles. I noticed that the oil filter looks like it is floating out of the bottom of tank at half full. is this normal? I took the clutch out and checked the round plastic piece that turns the little pump gear and it appears to be okay. Any detailed ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like ya might have a clogged oil filter if its oiling some but not enough. Best way to get the filter out of the oil tank is to remove the handle and take it out the case hole where the hose connects to the oil pump connecter. Other words take the handle off , flip the saw over and take out the hose and filter from the bottom of the case. This way you can clean them both and reinstall in one job. The oil pump itself is merely a little screw type thing with a groove on one side of it. Sometimes, though not often, the groove on the pump will clogg up if your filter let you down. The whole repair method on these is to clean the system, not just part of it. Hose and filter first and if still no oil the pump.............

Got filter and hose out and every thing looks clear and clean. I did not take the pump out. The saw is about 10 years old. Im thinking that the filter hose may be collapsing. I went ahead and ordered a new one. What does the hooked wire under the clutch that ataches to the plastic gear do.

broken scope said:
Got filter and hose out and every thing looks clear and clean. I did not take the pump out. The saw is about 10 years old. Im thinking that the filter hose may be collapsing. I went ahead and ordered a new one. What does the hooked wire under the clutch that ataches to the plastic gear do.

That hooked wire is your oil pump driver, they call it a worm gear. If you look closely at your sprocket you will see a small cut out on the edge of it. That cut out fits down over the hook end behind the clutch and when the sprocket spins it spins the worm gear which spins the oil pump. That hook is wrapped around a plastic worm type gear that runs againist the gear head of the oil pump. As the hook spins it it in turn rides againist the oil pump gearhead and spins it as well. If that hook is loose or just dangling around in there chances are you won't get much oil pumping. Sometimes the worm gear itself wears out over time since its only a plastic piece. If you know how to remove the clutch you should take a look at the worm gear to make sure its in tack and in good shape. If you decide to have a look just remember the clutch is left hand thread, turn to the right to loosen, turn to the left to tighten. You will need to take out the spark plug and use a plastic piston stop to remove the clutch. All this little plastic tool does it lock the piston from going up and down so you can unscrew the clutch. Without it its a pain. Only cost about 2bucks. Remember as well the more you fiddle with that saw the more you will like saws so beware and don't get hooked. If you do get hook come on by the store. Just messing with ya. Take ya time and enjoy the learning of how your saw works. If you need more help or info we all on the site will gladly help any way we can..................

Thanks again THALL,I have already got the clutch out thanks to the site. When I took the clutch out I noticed the pin sticking out past the sprocket housing about 1/8 inch. After the clutch was out I could turn the wire by hand and it just spins on the plastic gear but it is a snug fit. The shaft turns the plastic gear which turns the pump gear when turned by hand. Does something not sound right from this picture? This may be my trouble.

broken scope said:
Thanks again THALL,I have already got the clutch out thanks to the site. When I took the clutch out I noticed the pin sticking out past the sprocket housing about 1/8 inch. After the clutch was out I could turn the wire by hand and it just spins on the plastic gear but it is a snug fit. The shaft turns the plastic gear which turns the pump gear when turned by hand. Does something not sound right from this picture? This may be my trouble.

Are you saying when you spin the wire the plastic gear spins as well?, or are you saying the wire turns but not the plastic gear its attached to?????

The wire turns but not the plastic gear if I remember right. Theres a loop in the wire and when turned by hand it just spins on the outer slot of the plastic bushing. If I turn the clutch shaft by hand then the gear turns.

broken scope said:
The wire turns but not the plastic gear if I remember right. Theres a loop in the wire and when turned by hand it just spins on the outer slot of the plastic bushing. If I turn the clutch shaft by hand then the gear turns.

Just thinking, if you got the clutch off pull out that wire thing, the worm gear. Just grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and give a pull. It will come out and then you can see if its in good shape or bad. The wire has to be tight around the gear, cant be slipping. Check it...........

Im sure it slips.Will I have to pull the little pump before the gear is pulled out? If so I need pump pulling instructions. Thanks for your patience and help.

broken scope said:
Im sure it slips.Will I have to pull the little pump before the gear is pulled out? If so I need pump pulling instructions. Thanks for your patience and help.

No , you can grab the worm gear and it will pull right out. No need to do anything with the pump at all to get the worm gear out. Just grab it and give it a tug. Once out make sure the arm, the wire, is tight and not slipping on the gear........

Thall, took gear out and wire is tight. It will slip but takes a lot of effort. gear looks good . Should I go ahead and change pump or just try the new hose andfilter first? Thankyou for all your help and Ill let you know when I get it put back together if its fixed. Later

pump

do not change the pump unless a a last effort- check the vent on the side of the saw for the oil tank if memory serves, it is next to the bar pad- works the same way as atank vent, it is supposed to let air in. pulling the pump is not the easiest thing on this saw, and neither is replacing it.

pump

The pump may have sawdust blocking the inlet. The pump must be pulled.
This is quite easy. Remove the black handle frame. Once off, turn the saw over. On the bottom you will see a plastic fitting between the oil hose an the pump inlet. Take out 1 screw and remove it. The pump is in the hole.

To remove the pump, you will need a 5mm by .8 screw. Used in any Stihl saw with a metal case. Measure the depth of the pump in the hole. The pump must be re-installed at the same depth. Screw the metes screw into the pump and pull it out of the hole. You may need some needle nose pliers to help pull it out, as it should be pretty snug.

Look at the slot on the side of the pump. It should be clean. If not, clean it with air or a spray cleaner. Put a drop of oil on the hole, it should spin freely.
Also remove the pickup hose from the tank. Clean it and check for cracks and leaks.

To re-install, look at the pictogram next to the hole in the case. It will show the correct orientation of the pump in the hole. Install the pump to the same depth. Reassemble the saw, using a LITTLE sealant around the plastic elbow when installing.

If this does not cure the problem, you will need a new pump.

Latest posts

Back