Stihl 024 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a new-to-me Stihl 024. Old Homelite XL 101 will be put out to pasture.

On the Stihl 024, the air box cover doesn't fit right on the blade side. It slides down nice and even, then about 1/4-to-3/8" from the bottom, it gets pushed away from the channel. I've looked it over very close, but haven't yet found what is causing this. Any ideas? Pictures attached.

Also, is there any serial number reference to identify the year of manufacture?
11-10-15_1134.jpg

Here is a shot of how far the air box cover slides down until it starts to be "kicked" out.
11-10-15_1135.jpg

Could be the original owner installed the wrong air filter. likely the 026 filter. The 026 air filter is cheaper and far more available. However, it's taller and fails to work with the 024 cover and causes what you seem to be experiencing. Unfortunately, the 024 air filters are about $30 and dealers are having trouble getting them.

It has the correct, smaller 024 filter. And, I ordered a new one Saturday from my local dealer. I felt that $30 ouch!

The air box cover is running into some obstruction near the bottom to "kick" it out, but a detailed visual inspection hasn't turned up the culprit. It's a closed space, so can't see inside. Can't smear Prussian blue all over to find the contact point. I'm scratching my head....

It has the correct, smaller 024 filter. And, I ordered a new one Saturday from my local dealer. I felt that $30 ouch!

The air box cover is running into some obstruction near the bottom to "kick" it out, but a detailed visual inspection hasn't turned up the culprit. It's a closed space, so can't see inside. Can't smear Prussian blue all over to find the contact point. I'm scratching my head....
Check the tank vent on the other side. That sometimes rubs or hits the plastic. Original owner may have installed the wrong one. I replaced mine with a short 1/4" machine screw and it works.

I could take some pictures of my o24av if you think that might help? My new small air filter just came in at my local dealer. I'll snag that tomarrow. Where was yours made? Mine says made in west Germany

I could take some pictures of my o24av if you think that might help? My new small air filter just came in at my local dealer. I'll snag that tomorrow. Where was yours made? Mine says made in west Germany
West Germany. Serial #115606185. Viewed from the right side, the serial number is inverted. Use a tooth brush with solvent to clean up the lower part of the carb chamber. Grime could also be blocking the cover so that it cannot drop down.

Here are some pics of my 024av I just got this saw so I'm still playing with it. I already made the mistake of getting the bigger filter off ebay I will snap
A comparison photo tomorrow after I get my new filter
e562061cc8dee333495521769f216c6f.jpg
40dfd03ef60a74f51c81f16be0d8ed50.jpg
d0ecc49f57d043098615d9922418f518.jpg
366c14ae4d4c292fdd21bae85d480def.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my 024s does this.
Just slide it down till it starts to bind/get offline then wiggle it. it will drop on down.
Make sure the locking knob is in the right position.

Once you get it to slide on a time or 2 it will become second nature.

One of my 024s does this.
Just slide it down till it starts to bind/get offline then wiggle it. it will drop on down.
Make sure the locking knob is in the right position.

Once you get it to slide on a time or 2 it will become second nature.

Spot on. I see so many of these saws with the filter box cover half on. Usually its the locking nob. It is spring loaded and must be in the right position to seat correctly. If your filter is missing much "flocking" I would replace it. If it sucks enough saw dust over time you will be reworking the top end. Enjoy the saw, I love the 024's. Happy Sawing.

Thanks all. I will try and take another look over the air box cover tonight. Something is up on the blade side with it not fitting quite right. Need to look and noodle on it more.

One other possibility if you hate the $30 price of the air filter. You can replace the 024 plastic with 026 plastic (both the shroud and the carb cover). That allows using the 026 air filter that's still available out there for about $6. As mom told me years ago, sometimes you need to shop around.

Well, last night I took another look at the air box cover. After a long examination, I found that the bottom edge of the air box cover was running into the base of the saw. I'd assess this as a manufacturing defect -- the cover is slightly too small, or the base is a wee bit too large. I pulled out a hair dryer and tried heating the air box cover, but couldn't get it hot enough to remold it. Next up was a fine jewelers file. I carefully and slowly took some material around off the base of the saw (lots of test fitting), just enough to allow the air box cover to slide down without having it "pop" out of the vertical grove on the blade side. If this doesn't hold during operation, then out will come the duct tape to seal the air box. I might also pull out the heat gun to see if getting the air box cover hotter will allow for some gentle reshaping.

Yes, I now know that getting an 026 air box cover is an option. That will go on the wish list.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the Stihl 024. It is a huge step up from the Homelite XL 101. This hand-me-down machine from my late father-inlaw still runs (and idles), but it's long in the tooth and near-end of-life.
10-10-15_1447.jpg

Well, last night I took another look at the air box cover. After a long examination, I found that the bottom edge of the air box cover was running into the base of the saw. I'd assess this as a manufacturing defect -- the cover is slightly too small, or the base is a wee bit too large. I pulled out a hair dryer and tried heating the air box cover, but couldn't get it hot enough to remold it. Next up was a fine jewelers file. I carefully and slowly took some material around off the base of the saw (lots of test fitting), just enough to allow the air box cover to slide down without having it "pop" out of the vertical grove on the blade side. If this doesn't hold during operation, then out will come the duct tape to seal the air box. I might also pull out the heat gun to see if getting the air box cover hotter will allow for some gentle reshaping.

Yes, I now know that getting an 026 air box cover is an option. That will go on the wish list.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the Stihl 024. It is a huge step up from the Homelite XL 101. This hand-me-down machine from my late father-inlaw still runs (and idles), but it's long in the tooth and near-end of-life.
View attachment 453639
Believe it or not, I have one of those Homelites also. An old friend gave it to me. Mine has no red paint on it and is an excellent museum piece.

The 026 box cover sticks up about 1/2" higher and looks goofy without the 026 shroud, so you will probably want both if you go that route. I woulds still try to get that 024 cover to work because you already foot the big bill for the air filter. If the saw runs, it's a keeper. Many guys like them better than today's MS240 that costs an arm and a leg.

My red-n-blue XL 101 saw some rough treatment; I never got the full story. The handle was snapped off and welded back on. I'm guessing that someone dropped it onto a hard surface. Pull starter assembly is on the way out. Chain sprocket is worn. Blade and chain worn. Parts generally not available. Hard to work on. Not worth sinking anymore time and effort into it, thus acquisition of the Stihl. The XL-101 is being shopped around to several buddies for their sons. Something to learn on. I'll buy them a beer if it leaves my garage and finds a new home...

All of my 024's do what your cover is doing. It always bugged me, thinking I was doing something wrong but never really cared enough to figure out why. Just kinda assumed the plastic had shrunk a little with age as some do.

Latest posts

Back