Stihl 024 Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to working on saws... So have patience with me. My dad has an old 024 that he got 7 years ago for $25 not running, but with some compression. My dad is pretty busy and I enjoy working on stuff, so I eventually got around to replacing the carburator diaphragm and adjusting the carburator. My dad said that the air filter looked pretty dirty so he told me to scrub it with a tooth brush. Working on small engines is also kinda new to my dad... Needless to say I scrubbed that filter down to the wire. After all of that, we got it running but it would die as soon as we actually went to cut with it. I recently pulled it out, and have realized that I think it is running to lean. When I start it, with the choke on it revs up about half way and just stays there. The throttle does nothing, but I can tell that it is hooked up. When I take it off of choke, it revs up all the way on its own and then dies like I hit the kill switch. The fuel line coming out of the tank leaks some right where it comes out of the tank. We know that it needed a new air filter and fuel line, but we were hoping to get it running good before we put any more money into it. But now I'm starting to wonder if it might be getting to much air through the custom "high flow" air filter and the leaky fuel line. We took it to a saw shop and they said that it had low compression, but it's comparable to some of our other saws that still run good. I would appreciate any and all help as I really don't want to just start replacing parts with my limited knowledge in hopes of picking the right one that's causing the problem. Thanks for all of your help!
Courage

First thing I do on the 024 and 026 is remove the front muffler cover to look at the piston for scoring, its cheap and costs nothing but will save time and money from just throwing parts at the saw helter skelter. Next thing is to pull a vac test as many of these saws need crank seals, especially the one behind the flywheel.

I'll try to pull the front muffler cover tomorrow and check. We aren't set up to do a vac test. Are there any good cheap kits for this? Thanks!

I skip the cheap routes and got a Mighty Vac, for me that`s keeping it simple as I can use that tool for many other things I work on. Others have geared up apparatus using blood pressure type pump bulbs, hoses and a gauge but that requires some scavenging to find the bits needed.

After work today, we stopped at the saw shop and picked up a new fuel line for the 024 and and a new kill/run/choke switch for my dad's 036. I got both new parts on both saws tonight. Now the 024 doesn't leak gas any more. I also took the muffler off. To my unseasoned eye I think that the piston and cylinder look pretty good, but I'll post up some pictures so that you experts can examine it. Can't wait to hear y'all's verdict!!
IMG_20211227_210956156.jpgIMG_20211227_210956156.jpgIMG_20211227_211014459.jpgIMG_20211227_211014459.jpgIMG_20211227_211028088.jpgIMG_20211227_221957969.jpgIMG_20211227_211052100.jpgIMG_20211227_211059491.jpgIMG_20211227_211111276.jpgIMG_20211227_211120216.jpg

The piston and rings look pretty good to me but it appears the saw has been sawing grass. Clean that thing up. Then work on it. Dirt and debrie are a saws worst enemy. Just my humble opinion. :)
OT
The fact that it still runs with the condition shown in the pics is a testimony to its durability. Take some time and scrape, blow, pick all that debris of the entire saw, it'll thank you with many more yrs of faithful service, IMHO!

I believe you said you replaced the fuel line. How about the impulse line. Check it. If cracked, off, or hard, I would replace it. Once the saw is cleaned up, you will find it. Look at one of several You-Tube videos on location and replacement. Good luck.
Grizz is right. Many more years of use on that saw if it's taken care of. They don't build them like that anymore.
OT

Last night I dropped to my knees, as I felt weak, I felt a strong disturbance in "the Force".
Someone, somewhere was working on a dirty saw, and posted a few pics of his project online, and all of the little Jedis were furiously typing.....

How abouts I turn it into an oil thread?
Looks a bit, by the oily gunge build up on one side of the muffler surround, that the saw has perhaps been running a rich oil mix and a slightly loose muffler?
Will that work for you? :laugh:

Last night I dropped to my knees, as I felt weak, I felt a strong disturbance in "the Force".
Someone, somewhere was working on a dirty saw, and posted a few pics of his project online, and all of the little Jedis were furiously typing.....

Besides- the original owner may well have been planning to remove the muffler and grow potatoes on the crankcase over the Winter shut down period- good bed of mulch there. ;) :)

First thing I do on the 024 and 026 is remove the front muffler cover to look at the piston for scoring, its cheap and costs nothing but will save time and money from just throwing parts at the saw helter skelter. Next thing is to pull a vac test as many of these saws need crank seals, especially the one behind the flywheel.
T1

Back