stihl 024 top & bottom end parts advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZ dave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gidday all,
My 024 had a series of events which lead to it having no compression, they are as follows...
1. hard to start ( been 1 - 3 pulls from cold), had to play with L & H screws to get it to run.
2. Loaned to mate who's saw wasn't up to task, muffer came off (knew it was going to happen), purchased a 026 replacement
from local stihl supplier (they said it would fit, am wondering thou if it put too much back pressure back into the cylinder)
3. HT lead broke (thought this was the reason for the hard starting), replaced it, things seemed to be looking up.
4. saw got harder and harder to start, keep running, poor power when cutting logs - 16" bar on it.
5. Finally died, no compression, holding the puller and letting the saw drop it just went down - ergo no compression to me.
6. took the muffler off and piston has scratches on it.

I'm now thinking that if i do a complete rebuild of the top and bottom (replace bearings) i'll get a good saw out of it.
my problem is I've been told stihl don't carry parts for the 024 any more.
Searching this site I've seen references to brand names called baileys and ??? (mind gone blank) So... can anyone give a URL or email addie of a supplier so I can get pricing from.

Live in New Zealand, Like to try a rebuild and think it's best if I put a new cylinder, piston and main bearings in after watching rebuild vids online recently (as the saw was running great until recently I think everything else is good), Not pulled the saw down at all yet as the other option is to buy new. Am going to the states (LA, Anaheim and getting one over their - prices are cheaper than here) in May.

Hope someone can help with giving me some reputable suppler names I can email to.

dave.

I've rebuilt three 024's and two 026's in the last month. All the parts; bearings, seals, gaskets, piston and cylinder are all still available.

I've rebuilt three 024's and two 026's in the last month. All the parts; bearings, seals, gaskets, piston and cylinder are all still available.
AKDoug,

They maybe available in US _but_ not in my country, thus my call for help on where to get them online be it OEM or after market (and if after market which brand is considered as good as Stihl original).

Locate a Stihl dealer near where you are going to be in the U.S. and they should be able to order the parts and have them ready for you when you get stateside. There are no online sources for OEM Stihl parts in the USA, Stihl forbids it. For aftermarket, I have no experience with the 024. The only aftermarket piston/cylinder I would trust is Meteor and I haven't seen a kit for an 024.

Any chance your 024 is a super model? If so you can use the 026 meteor kit. The stroke on the super models is longer than the regular 024 and matches the 026. I got a meteor 026 kit recently and it had issues. I sent it back and another one was sent to me and it had the same issues so I did some creative dremel work on it and it's a good runner now.

How would I tell?
it doesn't have a name plate on it.
Not looked for a serial number and wouldn't know where to look.
any ideas? (purchased it 2nd hand and know nothing of it's history)

How would I tell?
it doesn't have a name plate on it.
Not looked for a serial number and wouldn't know where to look.
any ideas? (purchased it 2nd hand and know nothing of it's history)
You'd have to measure the stroke. The 024's stroke is 30mm and the 024super's stroke is 32mm

Right then, Bull by the horns...

I'll strip the cylinder down this weekend and get the bore measured, from that I'll be able to figure out if it's an 024 or 024 super (mate of mine thinks it might be a 024 super so if it is then (please correct me) I can put a 026 cylinder onto the 024 bottom).
if i can use 026 parts instead of 024 then I'll get the crank and shaft looked at as I think it'd be best to put in new main bearing, oil seals, piston rings and cylinder and perhaps crank and shaft (i.e. convert it to a 026).
anyone find fault with my thinking??

From my looking on the net 024 parts seem to be interchangeable with 026's it's just the piston and cylinder that's different. Lastly can a 026 cylinder bolt onto a 024 / 024 super bottom end??

I think the cylinder is taller on the 026 and you might need new plastics. I am not sure of this. I have a box of 026 parts and was going to put a 026 top end on a friends 024 regular and I think this was the issue I ran into. Some one who knows the saws better could help clarify.

I'll strip the cylinder down this weekend and get the bore measured, from that I'll be able to figure out if it's an 024 or 024 super (mate of mine thinks it might be a 024 super so if it is then (please correct me) I can put a 026 cylinder onto the 024 bottom).
if i can use 026 parts instead of 024 then I'll get the crank and shaft looked at as I think it'd be best to put in new main bearing, oil seals, piston rings and cylinder and perhaps crank and shaft (i.e. convert it to a 026).

From my looking on the net 024 parts seem to be interchangeable with 026's it's just the piston and cylinder that's different. Lastly can a 026 cylinder bolt onto a 024 / 024 super bottom end??

Remember it's the stroke you're measuring and not the bore. And if it does have the 32mm stroke than an 026 p/c will work. Check your bearings carefully as they may not need to be changed. I did 'em on my 024super for peace of mind. I would go ahead and replace the crank seals though. Lots of different parts interchange between the 024 and 026 and yes the 026 cylinder will bolt onto the 024 case. WHSH made a good point about the top plastic not fitting because the 026 has cooling fins on top. Around here 026 top plastic isn't too hard to find though and I also read where someone ground down the top fins with a bench grinder and got it to work. FWIW my 024s badged top plastic fit the 026 top end without much fuss. Especially if you go with an aftermarket p/c kit, check your squish!

Yup Already know about this as I had a look at a 026 cyldiner and 024 online and saw the problem their.
Think the plastic covers are easy enough to come by here for an 026.

cheers,

Back