Stihl 024AV - 024AVS carb differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavhooah

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker..... first time poster.

Ive had a 024 Super (I think, it says AVS ?) for quite a long time, its been a good saw.....I cant complain. While searching Fle-bay the other day I noticed a 024AV....said it might have an air leak. Bid and won for 88 bucks. Its a VERY clean saw, much better shape than my super. Years of being strapped to the front rack of a ATV have taken its toll on the supers looks...lol.

Busted it down and checked all the usual areas of problems Ive read about on here....Good pulse tube, gas tube, filter, Intake boot...yada yada. I pulled the head, piston and cylinder looked very good, as did the bearings. Put it back together, it sure looks good !

So I take my carb off of the Super and that saw runs like a top now....got to be a carb problem...I rebuilt the Supers carb last year. While looking at the two carb side by side...they are different. One is a Walboro and the other is a tillotson. Ive been looking on Fle-bay for a kit but the only ones I see are for different models.

My question is..... Is the #U 54B number the part number of this carb ? The first letter was punched on a carb casting line and Im not real sure what the first number/letter is.

Also, secondary....are the Supers carbs jetted a little richer than the standard 024 ?

Been looking around....wonder if it just be better to get a walboro to slap on it. They seem to be a more common carb for parts. Am I correct in assuming this ?

I have a plain 024, it has a Walbro carb on it, I believe there is some differences in them from where they were made. A buddy of mine had a 024 that was made in W.Germany and mine is made at Virginia Beach, but the carbs were set up a bit different and I couldn't just swap them over, I believe I had to take the linkage off it as well to make it work. I can't remember if his had a Tilly on it or not.

This set up was totally different, I remember becasue I was pissed I had to tear the handle apart to get the linkage out so I could try the other carb:laugh: It's been 3 years now I can't remember what the whole deal was but I know that linkage was different between those 2 saws.

I'd use the walbro...it is by far the most common one. Very few I've personally seen came with the tilly.

That's an HU-54b.
Their good carbs, I'll see if I can locate a kit.

Repair Kit --- RK-14H

Diaphragm & Gasket Set --- DG-2H

Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen, I have a kit on the way !

Two 024's have to be better than one right ?...lol

Over by Owensboro in a town called Henderson. Just south of evansville Indiana and 45 or so miles East of the Illinios line.

I must had too many Blue ribbon's the other day when I tested that carb after I cleaned it.

Got my kit in today, go to the shop to proceed with the rebuild..... first place I start is at the needles. Thats where I found it. Both, screwed in all the way. Ha ! Just for giggles I run em out 1 and slap it back on the saw..... runs like a champ. Never set the needles after I cleaned it....and thought it was trashed....sigh....

I went ahead and rebuilt it anyways.

Debated on telling this little story, but I figured its got to happen to more folks than me.... ha !

Thanks gentlemen, for the help

One more thing. Both of these 024's are West German saws, and the linkage were perfect matches. From what Ive been noting on this forum.... there are many changes between years. I guess I got lucky and have two saws made pretty close to each other... wonder if the serial numbers would tell me production year ?

Last edited:
That's an HU-54b.

Repair Kit --- RK-14H

I have a Walbro WT-22A on my super. (unless it's not really a super and it has the wrong name plate on it)

Long time lurker..... first time poster.

Ive had a 024 Super (I think, it says AVS ?) for quite a long time, its been a good saw.....I cant complain. While searching Fle-bay the other day I noticed a 024AV....said it might have an air leak. Bid and won for 88 bucks. Its a VERY clean saw, much better shape than my super. Years of being strapped to the front rack of a ATV have taken its toll on the supers looks...lol.

Busted it down and checked all the usual areas of problems Ive read about on here....Good pulse tube, gas tube, filter, Intake boot...yada yada. I pulled the head, piston and cylinder looked very good, as did the bearings. Put it back together, it sure looks good !

So I take my carb off of the Super and that saw runs like a top now....got to be a carb problem...I rebuilt the Supers carb last year. While looking at the two carb side by side...they are different. One is a Walboro and the other is a tillotson. Ive been looking on Fle-bay for a kit but the only ones I see are for different models.

My question is..... Is the #U 54B number the part number of this carb ? The first letter was punched on a carb casting line and Im not real sure what the first number/letter is.

Also, secondary....are the Supers carbs jetted a little richer than the standard 024 ?
I have an 024 I'm working on now I cannot figure out how to create a post on this site I need help bad....

I have ordered dozens of carb kits. I have gone to the dealer, nobody can give me the answer. My carb had a diaphragm on it pictured below. I ordered multiple kits which match in the photo but the kit comes....wrong kit. Had my uncle grab one from stihl dealer after I called sent them photos Yada yada....k10 wat kit...wrong diaphragm. I've honestly never ran into this issue in all my days. There is supposed to be one more hole where I'm pointing to the diaphragm and you can see its the right one in the photo of the kit(s) I've ordered Please help me email is [email protected] I don't even know if I've gotten reply other places I've asked this on here bc I'm an idiot when it comes to tech

Attachments

• 20221115_032744.jpg
    20221115_032744.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221126_043057.jpg
    20221126_043057.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221121-155635_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121-155635_eBay.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 0
That's an HU-54b.

Repair Kit --- RK-14H

Can u pls look where I replied on this post maybe you can help me I'm really stumped and stressed I do not want to sell a saw that blows up over a damn carb kit [email protected]

I have an 024 I'm working on now I cannot figure out how to create a post on this site I need help bad....

I have ordered dozens of carb kits. I have gone to the dealer, nobody can give me the answer. My carb had a diaphragm on it pictured below. I ordered multiple kits which match in the photo but the kit comes....wrong kit. Had my uncle grab one from stihl dealer after I called sent them photos Yada yada....k10 wat kit...wrong diaphragm. I've honestly never ran into this issue in all my days. There is supposed to be one more hole where I'm pointing to the diaphragm and you can see its the right one in the photo of the kit(s) I've ordered Please help me email is [email protected] I don't even know if I've gotten reply other places I've asked this on here bc I'm an idiot when it comes to tech
Old thread but k20-wat is the kit you need.

Back