Stihl 025 puking oil out of "the mystery hole".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took the muffler off because it was smoking and there was a mess of oil running out from under the muffler.

I installed an Elasto-Start handle and some new Rope, De-screened the muffler too. Runs so good now, and I like that elastic handle! But the oiling thing is an issue.

There is a little hole, about 1/8" on the left side of the case looking from the front (bar side) where the muffler goes. Dont know what is supposed to go there, but when the saw runs, oil flows from this hole. However I can turn the saw every which way, and not get a drop from it.

I had the same problem wiyh my 025. Its suppose to have some sort of plug , Im not sure what it looks like. I just made my own plug. But you dont want it to long cause it will block off the oil passage to were it oils the bar.

I had the same problem wiyh my 025. Its suppose to have some sort of plug , Im not sure what it looks like. I just made my own plug. But you dont want it to long cause it will block off the oil passage to were it oils the bar.

Possibly a Duck Bill valve?

I took my 021 muffler off , i think its the same thing as the 025 basically. And the plug is plastic , It looks like its suppose to be molded in with it . Doesnt look like its really suppose to come out.

Yes, but no need for loctite. Thread in a very short grub screw. Too long and it will block the exit hole. An exact part from Stihl is the 090 vent grub screw.. 0000 951 5815 -25 cents MSRP.

I took the muffler off because it was smoking and there was a mess of oil running out from under the muffler.

I installed an Elasto-Start handle and some new Rope, De-screened the muffler too. Runs so good now, and I like that elastic handle! But the oiling thing is an issue.

There is a little hole, about 1/8" on the left side of the case looking from the front (bar side) where the muffler goes. Dont know what is supposed to go there, but when the saw runs, oil flows from this hole. However I can turn the saw every which way, and not get a drop from it.
Order part #0000 953 1001. Its a grub scre that goes in that hole. Stihl calles it a "Stud M6"

Back