Stihl 025 Repair/Rebuild/etc...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down and out

The saw is down and out again. I ordered a rebuild kit for the carburetor today (Amazon for $7 !!!!) I pulled the metering diaphragm out and it was stiff as a rock, no wonder why it was hard to start and keep ruining.

Help needed

After every part has been replaced on this saw, I have officially hit the wall. I am surprised the saw hasn't hit the wall as well, it almost got the sledge last night.

Here is my question, I can get the saw to start and run WTFO but when I let off, I can't get it to idle at all. I mean not even anything, nothing, not one damn thing makes a difference. I have checked absolutely everything...you name it. Any Ideas or help?
New:
Carb
piston
cylinder
fuel line
filter
impulse

what am i missing???!!!

Way back in the beginning of your build thread you mentioned that you gapped the coil @ 0.005".
That should be more like 0.010-0.012".
Surprised no one picked up on that.

Re-gap the coil - use a business card
Gap the plug - 0.020" (try a new one if you have to)

Way back in the beginning of your build thread you mentioned that you gapped the coil @ 0.005".

I checked today and regapped to .015''. It still has the same problem. Now the flywheel key was sheared off a while ago (but it had the same problem prior to this), but I am still able to scribe witness marks on it for assembly and check to see if it moved at all and it hasn't gone anywhere. Unless my new fuel line is sucking in tight and closing off staling out the saw???

I have one 025 wreck, its missing the muffler an bar but other than that its complete, it ran somehow before muff removal, and the cylinder and piston are in great condition, as well as pulse/fuel line but still acts like intake leaker.....seals gone or case gasket, or even the case halves broken. Well....makes an good landfill :msp_w00t::wink2:

Problem found and saw runs great!

Do you need a STIHL service manual to help you diagnose?
No I have both the IPL and service manual. Always nice how people are here on AS. Thanks for the help though!

So far you have been the closest to finding the problem. I pulled off the starter and regapped the coil. However, it still had the same problem. So I took the whole saw down to just the jug and bottom tank assembly. My thought was to get the coil out and check it on the ohm meter to see if there was something it was showing, and to get in and inspect the impulse nipples on the jug and handle assembly. Upon inspection of the wiring from the kill switch, I happened to find the insulation worn off the wire. I said to myself pretty much felt this was :confused2: when that little part was causing me all the problems. The kicker is, it was on the backside of the wire so unless I took everything apart (like I did) I would have never seen it. Ugh... I feel that I could tear down this saw and rebuild it in about 30 minuets after I have had it apart so many times.

This picture shows what wire had the insulation worn off of it.

I guess a video is in store for the saw again.

Latest posts

Back