Stihl 025 sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamW

Reaction score
I've been fixing up a 025 that had some pretty serious neglect. I'd like to get this saw running good enough to be a backup to my ms360. That said I want to standardize the chain I'm running on both saws. The 360 has a 20in bar with .050 gauge 3/8 pitch full skip chain. I really like that set up and I'd like to run a 16in or 18in bar on the 025 with basically the same chain. It has .325 pitch safety chain on its 16 inch bar right now.

I'm wondering if anybody has a way to set up an 025 with a different sprocket to run .050 gauge 3/8 pitch (standard) chain. I've seen the lopro 3/8 stuff and I don't think it is interchangeable with the standard 3/8 stuff but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the help.

I have an 025 and the 16" is the perfect size for the 025 in my newbie opinion. I think an 18" would slow it down quite a bit in hard wood. They are good running saws, but not a powerhouse by any means. I absolutely love my 025 and my MS361 as well. Haven't really cut anything with the 361, but really looking forward to running it in the near future. I have cut some with the 025 last summer/fall, and it's a nice cutting saw.

I've been fixing up a 025 that had some pretty serious neglect. I'd like to get this saw running good enough to be a backup to my ms360. That said I want to standardize the chain I'm running on both saws. The 360 has a 20in bar with .050 gauge 3/8 pitch full skip chain. I really like that set up and I'd like to run a 16in or 18in bar on the 025 with basically the same chain. It has .325 pitch safety chain on its 16 inch bar right now.

I'm wondering if anybody has a way to set up an 025 with a different sprocket to run .050 gauge 3/8 pitch (standard) chain. I've seen the lopro 3/8 stuff and I don't think it is interchangeable with the standard 3/8 stuff but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the help.
Stay with the .325 for the smaller saw, think of it as a lower gear on a ten speed bike...the 7 tooth .325 is a smaller diameter drive gear than the 7 tooth .375.

The difference is slight, the real impact on performance is the size of the bite.
It's kinda funny how the .325 seems smoother in the cut on limbs and smaller stuff and more grabby on the noodling cuts...even with the depth gauges the same.
It's nice to have a saw where changing between the pitch is like taking off your boots and putting on your shoes in the mud room.

I pretty much use the 360 all the time so the 025's performance doesn't matter a whole lot to me. As the back up I really only need it to be able to do light duty things. I know I would be slowing it down with an 18 inch bar or wider pitch chain but the point of this project is to have a bar/chain that will also work on the 360 if I really screw up its bar somehow. I want the bars and chains to be able to be switched between both saws for that reason. I guess I was wondering if there is a 3/8 standard sprocket made for the 025/ms250.

I pretty much use the 360 all the time so the 025's performance doesn't matter a whole lot to me. As the back up I really only need it to be able to do light duty things. I know I would be slowing it down with an 18 inch bar or wider pitch chain but the point of this project is to have a bar/chain that will also work on the 360 if I really screw up its bar somehow. I want the bars and chains to be able to be switched between both saws for that reason. I guess I was wondering if there is a 3/8 standard sprocket made for the 025/ms250.
I think the 025's gonna have a spur drive attached to the clutch drum...maybe the clutch drum can be replaced with a rim drive replacement...I don't know but I'll bet harley t knows and stuff.

I've been asking the same questions in another thread without a solid answer.

But I think I'll be the guinea pig. I just put in this order from Bailey's for my 025:
bldiZMVzC9Td2OQB5EDL3f-5q_jNQPXiMlKaWkRs1G1mKYWiQWx1m4xhcqHbNRo_5wvBjFDWhyuuaEvgVKBoTlrKk_q6onf1MQ6aFdiG5cEt7PwYtSIW_GeZx3E8JNwR3yJx2bIiGj7sGhy67oTama1nxSHSjnSePP7r5560I3JiADx5LFX7y23WYpuI0RgLq56JMlwxP3LmpN_tWZ_bk7EU8n2r3V4JGkbo2jXpTniZXX20ijnayrR7XAKK2p6TeYjKgSXh1yF9_XOYdcDYVnWKhna8tjzSpxPgPkn9r1pnavmPOQ9o07GplllmVKbXkzMulzj7lnNNCvi-II7WhLt4Mr1vrJXqg0Z4_Ae6svtKR-snyaXZVsrc9UjVOyIeVx1f_G9-0DO1J3XrGaNpfUdZ25RADs4IhhY6gk8NsOpzCjSKaZrjjs64EXLpatRf0dNgK5wapfuh7x4WrXYTDkNxoWlELgLAsmHVk5H0BBOeUOygq__GRP4bpz8kfd5YMMMJpoyYE6lQWjf90nI8AclMs51o8l4viUxcXgY3vjlYguQ3ag1BZWTqyI1aZjjjfVm8RHyvNA182AhtLK6haFf4zPPTW6YuFulFmNk=w670-h532-no

We'll see if it works. The chain wasn't in stock, so I may be waiting awhile for the order. Also; my saw isn't stock. ;)

The 025/ms250 saws around here came with the .325.

Of course the "brain trust" here thinks that it was totally inappropriate......

I don't worry about it too much. But I think finding a sprocket and chain to fit in a big 3/8 may be tricky. I am sure that someone has made such, so have at it.....

I've been asking the same questions in another thread without a solid answer.

But I think I'll be the guinea pig. I just put in this order from Bailey's for my 025:
bldiZMVzC9Td2OQB5EDL3f-5q_jNQPXiMlKaWkRs1G1mKYWiQWx1m4xhcqHbNRo_5wvBjFDWhyuuaEvgVKBoTlrKk_q6onf1MQ6aFdiG5cEt7PwYtSIW_GeZx3E8JNwR3yJx2bIiGj7sGhy67oTama1nxSHSjnSePP7r5560I3JiADx5LFX7y23WYpuI0RgLq56JMlwxP3LmpN_tWZ_bk7EU8n2r3V4JGkbo2jXpTniZXX20ijnayrR7XAKK2p6TeYjKgSXh1yF9_XOYdcDYVnWKhna8tjzSpxPgPkn9r1pnavmPOQ9o07GplllmVKbXkzMulzj7lnNNCvi-II7WhLt4Mr1vrJXqg0Z4_Ae6svtKR-snyaXZVsrc9UjVOyIeVx1f_G9-0DO1J3XrGaNpfUdZ25RADs4IhhY6gk8NsOpzCjSKaZrjjs64EXLpatRf0dNgK5wapfuh7x4WrXYTDkNxoWlELgLAsmHVk5H0BBOeUOygq__GRP4bpz8kfd5YMMMJpoyYE6lQWjf90nI8AclMs51o8l4viUxcXgY3vjlYguQ3ag1BZWTqyI1aZjjjfVm8RHyvNA182AhtLK6haFf4zPPTW6YuFulFmNk=w670-h532-no

We'll see if it works. The chain wasn't in stock, so I may be waiting awhile for the order. Also; my saw isn't stock. ;)

I think that you will find that the sprocket and bar are for 3/8 lo/pro.

Not sure. One would think that the listings would be more clear.

The 025/ms250 saws around here came with the .325.

Of course the "brain trust" here thinks that it was totally inappropriate......

I don't worry about it too much. But I think finding a sprocket and chain to fit in a big 3/8 may be tricky. I am sure that someone has made such, so have at it.....
I run full sized 3/8 Stihl chisel chain on one of my many 025`s and I know Harley doesn`t like that but the saw does ok with a 16" bar, no powerhouse but it cuts softwood ok. I make all my parts so I can`t help with part numbers on this one.

I don't "not like it"... No matter to me.

Just telling these kids about things. I don't think they make these items readily. They probably do though.
Someone here likely has a .404 20 inch combo for one somewhere.
The stuff is out there but not necessarily made for a Stihl 025 but adaptable from other makes. I do remember the clutch drum was a Herr product and the rim drive was Oregon. When a guy has hundreds of NOS clutch drums to play with and some calipers to measure things, well....

Latest posts

Back