Stihl 025 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi!

I bought used Stihl 025 (made 1995) few weeks ago, ran few tanks of 95E gas mixture with it. It ran well but when it got warm it started to stop when idling. I didn't use it since yesterday so I made new gas mixture and this time it was fresh higher octane 98E instead of 6 month old gas I used earlier.

When it got warm it started stopping on idle just like earlier, so I adjusted idle screw a bit back so chain wasn't moving anymore. Liff was good, sun was shining and chainsaw was idling waiting me to feed sawhorse. After second tank refill Stihl stopped in halfway log, and I can't start it anymore, It doesn't even promise starting.

This is what I have tried to troubleshoot:
- Plenty of gas =)
- Air filter is clean
- Spark is ok.
- Muffler cleaned inside out.
- Primer is filled with gas.
- Removed spark plug and pulled starter rope 40 times with switch in off-position while holding trigger. This helped earlier with like 10 pulls when I forgot switch on choke-position when I tried to start warm saw.
- Putting a bit of gas in carb throat, throat opens and closes ok when triggered.
- Then i got idea of restoring HL-screws to manufacturers default position, closed both and 1 full turn open, original settings were something totally different, more like 2.5 turns open.

When you test compression by hanging chainsaw in starting rope should it resist quite much, maybe even not to drop much? If this is true, does it apply with Stihl elastostart? I mean it resists a bit and then start giving away so saw drops slowly towards floor. Unfortunately I didn't check this earlier when it worked. When I tested Partner 5000 this way, it was resisting much, dropped maybe 5 inches and hung there.

There was some black liquid around the button (for easy starting or something like that) on right side of cylinder. Same black thingy oozes a bit from muffler. Maybe this is just because of pulling starting rope many times without chainsaw actually starting.

If chainsaw stopped working because of changing gas and therefore carb need adjustments (why didn't it stop right after I changed type, that would have give better clue) or something is leaking/broken I'll have Stihl tech to check it out before making decision to get it fixed or get it refunded on exchange to new Jonsered CS 2141S or a bit bigger.

Okthnxbye, I'm off to dream about chainsaws! Thanks for great forum! :clap:

If black stuff is oozing out of the muffler I would think it is flooded.
The best remedy I have found for flooding is to remove the plug, shut the kill switch off and turn the was upside down(with the crankcase on the top). This position depends on if it is a horizontal or vertical cylinder. Then pull the motor over until gas quits coming out the plug hole. Then pull it several more times for good measure. Tom

If the carb screws were out 2.5 turns and it was running, then it was likely left that way to compensate for an airleak... seals... ?

And.. low compression can make it hard to start... and prone to flooding.

I'd check the compression.. and if it's poor, get you money back if you can... The 025 usually has great compression and combined with a small rotor, make it hard to pull over for some people.

If the carb screws were out 2.5 turns and it was running, then it was likely left that way to compensate for an airleak... seals... ?

And.. low compression can make it hard to start... and prone to flooding.

I'd check the compression.. and if it's poor, get you money back if you can... The 025 usually has great compression and combined with a small rotor, make it hard to pull over for some people.

I agree completely with the air leak diagnosis... check for fuel line cracks and impulse hose leaks.
Change out your spark plug outright. I know this sounds crazy, but for some reason, I have seen them where once you flood one, it seems never to want to start after that. Crazy and dumb, I know, but I have had better luck starting a flooded saw with a fresh plug.

many long days later...

Oh boy, thats been long two weeks! I couln't help myself so i drove to shop and asked if they had checked chainsaw :) Would you have guessed it had spark plug changed, air leak fixed and carb adjusted? :clap:

So here are my mental notes to self:
-When tech asks if you need this repaired fast its definitely wrong answer to say "Nope, its no rush" :p Correct answer is more likely "I'll call to work and take day off and wait behind your shoulder and watch you fix it."
-Should get few spare spark plugs!
-Get compression tester (actually now I got one, and I can't wait weekend to use it)
-Neighbours doggie don't share my enthusiasm for chainsaws :monkey:

Aaaah, liff is good again! :cheers:

025 No Start

Just picked up an 025 and tried to get it running. I checked a few things before posting to see if I could narrow it down.

- Fuel down carb will not get the saw to cough or run for a second
- Replaced spark plug with brand new one

I am thinking one of two things here. Either:
1. There is an issue with the grounding wire to the choke lever
2. The coil is bad

Looking to see if you guys have any opinions or things to check that might help me narrow something down before I drop some large bills on a new coil.

Back