Stihl 025 worth fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbionWood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl 025 about 15 yrs old, lately won't idle and races when revved... took it to the shop and the verdict is a leaking head gasket. Which apparently requires a complete tear-down of the entire saw to fix. About 2 hrs labor plus materials - probably about $150 total. Is it worth it?
I'd DIY but (a) Stihl doesn't make service manuals available, and (b) this saw is a PITA to work on. Might be outside my limited skill set.

Problem is, I occasionally need a saw in this size, so I'd have to get a new one... not gonna get that for $150. But a new one might start, and idle, and not give me half the trouble this little bugger has over the years.

That saw does not have a head gasket, it may be leaking from the seals or just the impulse line.the 025 is not to bad to work on, go to the "beg for manuals thread" and get a work shop manual and an IPL. keep us posted and you will have it fixed in no time

Good luck

You can do it! If your here on AS asking about it your halfway there. Do a search on 025 or ms250 rebuild to get some backround. Ask more questions and Im sure with advise from here youll be able to repair it.:msp_mellow:

I would be willing to bet on crank seals on a 15 year old 1123 series saw. Most of them through here need seals. It is a good idea to replace the fuel line and impulse line while it is down. Probably about $50 in parts, and the satisfaction of having done it yourself. Get a torx T-27, and rip into it. We'll help you along the way.

Go for it. Like everyone said there are a lot of resources available. It rerally isn't that hard and after you've repaired it you'll want to do another. Pretty soon you'll spend all your days working on chain saws. If your married your wife won't speak to you, you won't shave or bathe and you'll become....................an Arborisite Site Junkie.

Bob

Very easy saw to fix. Go beg for the Manual and IPL and then thumb through them. You will be amazed how simple a saw they are. If you do need seals, site sponsor Northwood Saw has them at a great price. I've used them and they work fine. Good luck.

Like they said, no problem to work on or get parts!!!!
I rebuilt an 023 which is the same style.

I proved any idiot can do it.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

you can do it

watch the utube video;but when you put the seal on the side withthe e clip wrap electric tape around the shaft and put some grease or trans accembley lube.then your seal will slide right on.I replaced the seals for under $10.00 including shipping. found them online. If I can do this so can you.good luck.Steve

Hmmm, I'm beginning to sense a trend here. You've all been very subtle about it, but I am starting to think maybe you want me to try fixing this myself. :laugh:

Guess I will shove all the other chainsaw parts (Homelite XL with busted flywheel, Super2 with malfunctioning oiler) off to one end of the bench, and give this one a shot. I do have one running saw to fall back on.

Thanks guys, you just added Project #9,687 to my to-do list! Good thing I plan to live forever so there will plenty of time to get all that done. Cheers!:msp_thumbup:

That's what benches are for. You should see what mine looked like a couple of years ago and what it looks like now. I found this site and the fun began.:biggrin:

You can get the 025 SM & IPL pretty quickly by asking in the Beg For Manuals thread/sticky. If for some reason you don't a response (highly unlikely), PM me.

I'm pretty sure you'll want the 025 service manual (covers the 021-023-025), not the MS250 SM.

I have the IPL and the service manual just PM with your email address.

2nd the recommendation on the youtube video.

I will offer up another option. I bought a complete Stihl OEM engine (not aftermarket junk) off of ebay for around $150. It came completely sealed and included intake boot, impulse line, heat shield, and spark plug. At this point it's almost a simple drop in and you will have a new saw. Although, I would recommend a fuel line and carb rebuild to complete the rebuild.

Once the rings seated in this engine it always starts on the 2 or 3 try and has made a great truck saw. Very reliable.

Is there an early model and a late model 025? I have two of them, and they have different air cleaners on them, One of them needs to be re-ring

I doubt your 025 is in worse shape than this one was before I started working in it:
Stihl 025 Before.jpg
Figure about 10 hours of work to rebuild the engine and clean it all up. My friend who gave it to me to work on could not believe it was the same saw after I finished. It runs fine today, and he uses it a lot. Old thread but some of you today might like seeing this anyway.

Latest posts

Back