Stihl 026, bars, sprockets, and getting it right...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet spot for a 026/028 is a 0.325 w 16" bar.
I (like ancy) run a 16in 3/8 050. I actually just got done with my ms260pro (initial) build last night. Mild porting on a 44mm OEM jug and NOS OEM piston. Droped the squish to 0.022 but still needs a MM. They are a great little saw!

Thanks, Tony. Yes, I like the aluminum handle and the fully adjustable carb. Holding off on the replacement cover until I can find a used one reasonable. Can't wait to get out with him cutting some wood...
So how lucky did you get?? is the carb a wt194?? The cover is no big deal and good luck finding a good one for a "Good" price. The aftermarket only makes 260pro AF covers, so you'd have to change the cylinder cover and air filter to make that work and look good... This makes the 026 air filter covers hard to find for a decent price. I just won a cylinder/air filter cover set in "OK" condition off ebay and it ran me $32!

Get 5 or 6 extra e-clips, as when you pop them off, sometimes they can get lost. Had them richochet around the shop a few times. Also helps to drill 2, 3/8" holes in the muffler to let it breath. Re-tune afterward. That out board clutch makes it easy to change yer rims and pitch.

Put the saw on it's side, put one hand over the sprokcet and pop the "E" clip with your other hand... Keeps those things easier to find! Also a OEM muffler should only have 1 hole in it about the size of a Bic pen. If you have a "slot" then someone already did the muffler mod for you. Remember to clean the screen and don't let it clog up.

Also OP:
For future info... The flywheel side oil seal likes to leak on these once they get some age on them... If the saw starts to run funny or lean out shut it down before you roach you P&C!

nstueve, how can I tell which carb I got? And I was bidding on an "ok" set as well since they were running as cheap as the filter covers only. You were probably the one to beat me on the auction I was bidding on!

The muffler had no internal baffles. Besides the engine exhaust inlet, the only other opening was about an inch long slot on the exhaust side with the spark arrestor screen covering it and an external guard that had lots of holes as shown in that first pic. Is this not OEM? Might pull it off and take a picture of it this evening.

After seeing covers selling for $20-$30, I did stumble onto a lead for a "parts saw". Pictures look good, and the guy says it runs, but has "no power". Any thoughts what this could be? Looks identical to mine, and for the price and shipping, it's a no-brainer to pick up for the parts I need and either stash it for future needs, get it running and use it, or sell it for a profit. :msp_biggrin: Keep your fingers crossed!

nstueve, how can I tell which carb I got? And I was bidding on an "ok" set as well since they were running as cheap as the filter covers only. You were probably the one to beat me on the auction I was bidding on!

The muffler had no internal baffles. Besides the engine exhaust inlet, the only other opening was about an inch long slot on the exhaust side with the spark arrestor screen covering it and an external guard that had lots of holes as shown in that first pic. Is this not OEM? Might pull it off and take a picture of it this evening.

After seeing covers selling for $20-$30, I did stumble onto a lead for a "parts saw". Pictures look good, and the guy says it runs, but has "no power". Any thoughts what this could be? Looks identical to mine, and for the price and shipping, it's a no-brainer to pick up for the parts I need and either stash it for future needs, get it running and use it, or sell it for a profit. :msp_biggrin: Keep your fingers crossed!

yeah I probably did sneak in on you with the ebay auction... Sorry bout that... I have 2 026's needing plastics so i can get them gone!

No good way to check besides pulling the carb. only takes 5mins but is kind of a pain. the 194 carbs run $60 on ebay b/c they are the best carb for that saw. The side of the carb will have something like "194," "wt194," "wt22" stamped on it. As for checking the muffler... OEM mufflers are empty inside. The cover that pulls off with 2 torx screws is what has that small outlet hole about the size of a bic pen. if the backside of the muffler cover has been cut open bigger than that, you already have a muffler moded saw. take the screen off and make sure it's clean and that's all you need to do. The guy that previously suggesed drilling holes meant you should drill open the front muffler cover more to let out more exhaust gas...

As far as a parts saw... If it's cheap, get it! A "weak" saw could be about anything. Is it going to be shipped or are you picking up in person? either way I'd want to see the piston through the exhaust outlet. If it's toast you know the problem, if it's not... Well then you have a cheap gem that needs tuned or some other small fix.

Cheers,
Nathan

Latest posts

Back