Stihl 026 not idling well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, saw arrived early. got it today.. i tiik off the muffler like you guys had said to do and i took a couple photos.. The cylinder wall looks scored to me.. It does start and run but doesnt like to idle.. The photos were taken with a magnifier app. Let me know what you think2020-9-18 18-59-29.jpg2020-9-18 19-1-34.jpg2020-9-18 19-1-44.jpg2020-9-18 19-9-30.jpg

From what ive been seeing online i may be able to save this cylinder,,, These photos are magnified which makes it look much worse, maybe... Ive also found out by looking at older threads from the perosn i bought it from is he started it with starter fluid.. Not to bright.. anyway. ill wait for more to chime in on this

Looks good to me. Jug looks OEM.

It’s worth $100.

Is that the piston or intake side of cylinder wall you are showing in your pic? You will likely be able to clean that jug up and add a meteor piston.

The most important thing is to figure out why it is scored, not just fixing it. It will repeat itself otherwise.

Looks good to me. Jug looks OEM.

It’s worth $100.

Is that the piston or intake side of cylinder wall you are showing in your pic? You will likely be able to clean that jug up and add a meteor piston.

The most important thing is to figure out why it is scored, not just fixing it. It will repeat itself otherwise.

Pictures are looking through muffler inner case.

NEVER hone a Nikasil cylinder... You'll ruin it. The plating is only a couple of thousandths thick. Do a search for removing aluminum transfer without acid.
Acid method is milder if you know how to do it. Most stuff acid method MIGHT hurt , has holes in plating already. Stay away from ports.

I've seen hones/sandpaper ruin cylinders. Be advised............

To each his own.

No auto oiler Steve
But is there a hole in the bottom of the crankcase for the adjustment screwdriver? If there is it is a later 026 Pro crankcase and matches the tank. If not the tank housing was likely replaced with the later Pro version.

I just checked, so there is a hole, so this is a pro 26?View attachment 856414
It is from the period after the Pro model was introduced. Stihl had two versions Pro, non-Pro. The Pro got the clutch driven adjustable oiler, decomp valve, and compensating carb. The non-Pro didn't.

This means that the cylinder cover and the AF cover have been replaced by ones from an earlier version saw. I am sort of surprised that the AF cover would fit and latch properly on that tank housing. It may not if you get the wider AF for it.

Back