• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 026 One Owner Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
btw. if the bar/chain are like new, it draws lots more customers in. Just my humble opinion.

I don't know almost anything about the correct way to change something in my ad but here goes. I have decided to change my asking price from the $375.00 down to $300.00 plus shipping (you pay shipping costs) Hate to say it that way but I am just trying to not make a mistake on my part. I took this saw today to a Stihl dealer who has been in the business for years. The long and short of it is this. He told me it was worth $ 300.00 all day long. He said this is one of the last 026's made in the series ( towards the end of 026 model ). He told me it was in excellent condition but I kinda thought that already. Thanks Jeff

btw. if the bar/chain are like new, it draws lots more customers in. Just my humble opinion.
Well to be honest I don't think it is like new, it is in good enough shape to saw up my winters 6 cords of fire wood no problem ha ha .
I think I would change it to semi chisel chain though. I think it is that 325 bumper link? style chain I think I saw the green colored link is still green looking? Don't hold me to that but she is not harmed by any means. I could tell the story the guy told me but it sounds kinda made up if coming from me the seller. After seeing the saw though I believe it.

Saws don't usually sell here for the prices they do on CL or Ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is probably true I don't know how to do either of those any way. I have good luck right outside my house really. I bought 2 toro Power clean snow throwers yesterday and sold one an hour ago. I have a snowmobile out beside the road been there since yesterday had 6 or 8 people stop to read the sign already. No takers yet but some day maybe. I have not listed the saw here in Maine yet but my son is after me to put it on CL said he would do it for me. I may do that soon he actually sold the blower too so who knows.

Saws don't usually sell here for the prices they do on CL or Ebay.
Because the guys here want a great saw and pay nothing for it... why I don't sell used saws here and neither do a lot of guys I know. Don't let them goad you into lowering your price and then try and talk you down some more. That saw was in the ball park for the price and if someone wants it, you can negotiate a little.... just make sure your effort and costs are covered.

I sell used saws to pay the bills, not break even and I don't sell a saw unless I'm going to double my money or it stays in my personal collection. What you paid for the saw is none of there business... If you paid $300 for it, would you have sold it for $300 or gave free shipping for that price? I sold one three weeks ago just like that one for $375, I could see a little error for regional differences. I also buy/fix/sell 200+ saws a year.

Because the guys here want a great saw and pay nothing for it... why I don't sell used saws here and neither do a lot of guys I know. Don't let them goad you into lowering your price and then try and talk you down some more. That saw was in the ball park for the price and if someone wants it, you can negotiate a little.... just make sure your effort and costs are covered.

I sell used saws to pay the bills, not break even and I don't sell a saw unless I'm going to double my money or it stays in my personal collection. What you paid for the saw is none of there business... If you paid $300 for it, would you have sold it for $300 or gave free shipping for that price? I sold one three weeks ago just like that one for $375, I could see a little error for regional differences. I also buy/fix/sell 200+ saws a year.
Yes I am getting some offers now but none I can / will do . You are right I am not starving if it does not sell it will be number 17 in my collection that's all. I do appreciate your comments though. This is not the first saw I have ever seen I know somewhat what it is worth. My brother bought his back in the day and it is going strong today 20+ cords a year felled and cut to stove length. The dealer near me said $300.00 all day long they been selling Stihl since the 60's . Still in business today. Thanks for the support jeff

Someone loves me just got the "Seriously Likeable!" trophy ! Now im cooking with gas.

Yes I am getting some offers now but none I can / will do . You are right I am not starving if it does not sell it will be number 17 in my collection that's all. I do appreciate your comments though. This is not the first saw I have ever seen I know somewhat what it is worth. My brother bought his back in the day and it is going strong today 20+ cords a year felled and cut to stove length. The dealer near me said $300.00 all day long they been selling Stihl since the 60's . Still in business today. Thanks for the support jeff
Way to fend off the cheapskates.

Yes it wiil sell or it wont sell but people know what they want too. And if I want something and I see a nice version of it I pay for it. That's just me but its all I got to go by and that's enough.

Way to fend off the cheapskates.
I don't see any need to get too caught up in the price of a saw that is not mine. I see stuff every day that I want so bad I could squirt ! Some day I will find the money if I want something bad enough. I will save the money and buy it that's all. Or find one someplace else, I can go to Cabelas or Dicks Sporting Goods and not find one thing I need. I have done this a lot.
It may sound stupid but I have everything I ever wanted so when someone gives me a gift cert to one of these places I have to find something and I do. But anything I really want I already own. That is only because I always found a way to buy what I wanted somehow. If that meant passing on a $600 game camera this yea,...r well I'll get one next year, or the next. I don't get too shook up it don't pay.

Doesn't matter if people are cheapskates or not. What you own is only worth what someone is willing to pay and if they won't pay what you want you either have to lower the price or you will not sell it. Basic principles of selling.

Yes it wiil sell or it wont sell but people know what they want too. And if I want something and I see a nice version of it I pay for it. That's just me but its all I got to go by and that's enough.

Hey Jeff,
All this banter sure sounds familiar to what I said in the PM that I sent on the first day you listed your saw- funny how things turn out... I still think that given the saw's condition, your full disclosure of the saw's history and prior owner's character (instead of the typical "Saw for Sale" and that's all you get to know about it)- that your reduced price is very fair given that the saw basically has all the makings of a "Pro" model. On a couple of prior occasions, I have passed on (or should I say missed out on) several saws that were in excellent condition over a few bucks- usually less than $50-100 and have kicked myself for it afterwards. I don't make that mistake anymore- I quickly realized that there are a million abused and beat up saws out there for sale, but to get a saw that was well taken care of and is super clean, cosmetically as well as mechanically- you often need to pay a little more. And I have not regretted one such purchase that I have made since. In this world- you usually get what you pay for... Hang tough- someone will see the value in it sooner or later. Again, Good luck with the sale! Scott
:popcorn:

Thanks , Well i hesitate to continue about the saw's history but you enjoyed The back ground on it and maybe someone else did as well. So here is some more.
The man I bought this saw is named Mike he bought it someplace in Conn. He was moving here to Maine and wanted the whole pioneer experience. So one of his plans was to heat with wood thus the new saw. He came up here and had a home already purchased so he found someone selling wood so he bought a load. I dont know but i assume he bought a wheeler load 10 +/_ cords . He had good luck the first year, more work than he expected but he did the same for the next year. I dont know if that was his last year or if he did this for 3 years ? Anyway after a few years he decided that oil delivery trucks drove by his home on a regular basis and he was sick of all the work and " wood mess" and switched to oil.
He took the saw to a local dealer and asked how best to store the saw as most likely he wouldnt be using it for a while. The shop emptied the tank ran the saw till empty and passed it back to him. He said he was amazed how long the saw would run with no fuel in the tank! ( i found the same thing when storing some of my Partners) That is the story he told me, I bought the saw and took it home. I was out of mix or almost so i had to mix up some new so i filled the tank. I let the saw sit for about 20 min while i did other things. Then I and Choked it and in 6 or 7 pulls and she sat right there ideling.
I went back the next day and bought two Toro Power Curve snow throwers from him.. He told me similar stories about the blowers. One 5 hp and 1- 3hp both started right up with fresh mix ( they are both 2 strokes) I have already sold the 5 hp one. He had bought a 50+ hp Kubota with full cab to do his driveway. you should see that rig !
Before i left with the blowers i told him , hey if you ever have anything else small to sell,... call me. He said well the only thing he really could part with was an Anshoultz ( sp ) target rifle. As he started to explain he used to belong to some target shooting team .
My thoughts were in the thousands of bucks probably,.. so i did not even ask the price. I told him what i wanted was an Old pump .22 and a Savage Combo rifle Shotgun like 223 /243/20 gauge. He said "well i sold most all my rifles to Cabelas"
If anyone here is familar with "Cabels Gun Library" that was what he was talking about. At the gun libarary they only buy the best in firearms so even if he had some i knew i couldn't afford any of them ! I thanked him and left.

Jeff probably purchased this for what it's worth, it's a little harder when trying to resell and make a buck. Nothing wrong with that. Nice saw , but i can buy these all day long in very nice condition off ebay for around $200 to $250, probably about what Jeff paid for this one. Now before you all start bashing ebay, i've bought over a 1000 items off ebay in the last 20 years. Everything from my 2 current Dodge 4x4 dually 1Ton diesel's , mu wife's suburban, boats, Harley's to a dozen Chevelle's 68 thru 72's.(my younger son and i buy and flip them) to a ton of antiques for my wife to put in our home, even clothes. Currently i buy a lot of AR parts off ebay. I haven't bought a vehicle from a local dealer since 1996. All have been bought off ebay and a couple recently off craiglist. Only been burned 1 time, and even that in the long run worked out in my favor. If you pay with paypal, you protected if the item is not what it's described, or shows up in bad shape from shipping, because even if it's insured, the post office will usually do nothing. Of course it's government owned, what do you expect? I had a holley carb i bought the fella did a really poor job of packing, arrived with the base plate and choke broke, the box looked like they played drop kick football with it. And it was the result of terrible packing. My wife works for UPS, so i try to advise folks on how to pack before shipping. Can't believe the people that pack the sides and top and forget about the bottom. Like what's the first thing to make contact if you drop something? Duh, The bottom. Anyway i got my money back. Also nice, is the ability to use paypal's money for free anywhere from 6 months to 18 months. I use it all the time. I've bought 2 new stihls in the last couple of months, MS180 that a guy ported, and just a couple of weeks ago, a new MS261 that i finally put fuel in and used last weekend. I've got an 029 i bought new about 20 years ago. Let's just say i am thrilled. I know some of you on here won't like this post, but it is what it is. Good luck Jeff, very nice saw. :)

Thank you, I was just coming here to say that on my way home today I stopped at my local Stihl dealer. I stopped there because this saw has the homeowner style chain on it now. I got to thinking if I was going out to cut I would not personally want to use that chain and if I keep the saw I would want a new chain. So,.... I bought a new bar and r.s.c. chain the guy said on the roll it is actually called Rapid super chisel . Who ever buys the saw will get this brand new bar and chain plus the original b&c . The original bar has about maybe 70% +/_ life left as does the chain. JeffIMG_0295.JPG IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0297.JPG

Thank you, I was just coming here to say that on my way home today I stopped at my local Stihl dealer. I stopped there because this saw has the homeowner style chain on it now. I got to thinking if I was going out to cut I would not personally want to use that chain and if I keep the saw I would want a new chain. So,.... I bought a new bar and r.s.c. chain the guy said on the roll it is actually called Rapid super chisel . Who ever buys the saw will get this brand new bar and chain plus the original b&c . The original bar has about maybe 70% +/_ life left as does the chain. JeffView attachment 338873 View attachment 338875 View attachment 338876

Jeff, Now you have turned a good deal into a smoking deal!:rock:
I have a call into my Father (who has several hundreds acres in WV & cuts 10+ cords a year for primary heat in his log home) to see if he wants it- he has all big saws and is getting older and could really use a saw like yours. I get this voice mail- cell signal is dodgy in the mountains. Obviously, first come-first serve so hopefully I can get in touch with him pretty soon. I'll be real surprised if he doesn't want to have me get it for him- waiting on a call back. ;) Scott

Latest posts

Back