Stihl 026 question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokepole

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an 026 that needs a rebuild. Hoping to freshen it and probably do a woods mod. I've been reading on here that they suffer from a shortage of intake air. Is it possible to eliminate or trim down the baffle in the filter housing to improve flow? Seems it would get more flow with it removed.

Do you mean the choke butterfly? They have the choke siting in the air filter and yes that does restrict some flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can not remove the choke from the filter, but you can upgrade to ms260 filter by swapping the filter, af cover, and tank vent.

Cut away as much of the interior baffle as possible, also remove some material from behind the choke flap to allow the choke to rest back further away from the seat or sealing ring when closed. The MS260 airfilter is a good upgrade but removing the spitback flange and the mods mentioned above on either filter is a good way to get more air through to the carb throat. I run the steel mesh filters on my own personal 026`s, they require as much air as possible to feed the heavily ported cylinder.

Here is a before removal of the partition marked in black,
LlQ2B_ymY0sMlcBYPEibJ2KFc6C0LSgJVgDtmDwAX1Sxmytpxf8hztJenkHyY7I8cBINSFjZZUtx=w392-h220-rw

The mesh filter has the partition removed/ground away with a dremel,

ixUC3NWJSRU0SalZNq7SR8H1HvJIj8ZprhSOk8SiMwAbdSjlStgRahb7c3VNvxzV9qahpzFuL84d=w392-h220-rw

ixUC3NWJSRU0SalZNq7SR8H1HvJIj8ZprhSOk8SiMwAbdSjlStgRahb7c3VNvxzV9qahpzFuL84d=w1280-h720-rw-no

For those that can see the picts, the most restrictive area of the filter is the factory space between the choke flap and where it seats when placed on choke. When the choke flap is in the open position the space/gap between the flap and seat is very narrow, how narrow depends on which type or maker of filter you have. I grind some material away behind the choke flap to allow it to open further and can gain close to .250 or 1/4" more opening, this makes some very good gains in these saws. In the pict the areas marked in black, between the two retaining screws and the choke stopper tang get ground away as showing in the mesh filter. The combination of the partition removal and the extra choke opening really does make a difference on the 026 and MS260.

Too bad that I can't see the pics. This is a very interesting mod that I was hoping to learn. I bet it does make a lots of difference specially in combination with MM and porting. It improves the intake side without change of the stock appearance of the saw which I am very found of. Gonna try to figure it out based upon description, and use it to build sleeper 024 with ported 026 top end. This is great, I learn something new every day. Thank you pioneerguy600.
Where do you get steel mesh filters for 026?

For those that can see the picts, the most restrictive area of the filter is the factory space between the choke flap and where it seats when placed on choke. When the choke flap is in the open position the space/gap between the flap and seat is very narrow, how narrow depends on which type or maker of filter you have. I grind some material away behind the choke flap to allow it to open further and can gain close to .250 or 1/4" more opening, this makes some very good gains in these saws. In the pict the areas marked in black, between the two retaining screws and the choke stopper tang get ground away as showing in the mesh filter. The combination of the partition removal and the extra choke opening really does make a difference on the 026 and MS260.
Thanks pioneerguy, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have an early filter assy with the brown spitback baffle. I will modify my filter to let the choke shutter open wider. Probably the best option is to get an arctic mesh filter but I understand they are a little difficult to locate. Thanks to all who responded. We have an awesome amount of knowledge on this site.

Too bad that I can't see the pics. This is a very interesting mod that I was hoping to learn. I bet it does make a lots of difference specially in combination with MM and porting. It improves the intake side without change of the stock appearance of the saw which I am very found of. Gonna try to figure it out based upon description, and use it to build sleeper 024 with ported 026 top end. This is great, I learn something new every day. Thank you pioneerguy600.
Where do you get steel mesh filters for 026?

I can get them through my Stihl dealer, they get used up here in Canada a lot , I got 6 of them this past spring. They are designed for wintertime cutting when dust is very low as the mesh will let very fine dust through them. My saws have run many ,many hours without any damage though using mesh filters.

Thanks pioneerguy, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have an early filter assy with the brown spitback baffle. I will modify my filter to let the choke shutter open wider. Probably the best option is to get an arctic mesh filter but I understand they are a little difficult to locate. Thanks to all who responded. We have an awesome amount of knowledge on this site.

You can toss the spitback baffle, its a restriction in its own and getting the choke flap to open wider makes a big difference, especially for a 026 with the upper transfers opened up and redirected.

Back