Stihl 026 question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes sense now that I have looked at it closely. I've had the dremal tool out this afternoon and it already looks better. Got another .060-.070 on the shutter with it. Still going to have my dealer try and get a couple of Arctic mesh filters. Having more than one and changing them out during the day is the key to longevity and performance. Poor saw hadn't been show much love before I acquired so it will be an improvement.

My filters are a little wet but I don`t see oil clogging them up. What type of oil you burning in your 026?
I use echo power blend at 40.1 and amsoil Saber 50.1. when I had the felt filter I could tap it out or blow it out but after so many tanks run through with ridges in the filter cut out my filter would get oily and slow down air flow it happens on my echo top handle saw too. About every 10 to 15 tanks I soak spray my filter with brake clean and it's good as new again my echo filter is the original at 6 years old

My good old 20 dollar oh26 is a blessing no compression upgrade yet or new rings. Just some porting work n mm it screams pretty good 17,200 last time it was tached at a mn gtg and that was with a stock mesh filter and still 4 strokin. Those saws can scream. Sarahdodgegeek has a mean Lil ripper that can spin 18k all day long, fun Lil saw to run

I use echo power blend at 40.1 and amsoil Saber 50.1. when I had the felt filter I could tap it out or blow it out but after so many tanks run through with ridges in the filter cut out my filter would get oily and slow down air flow it happens on my echo top handle saw too. About every 10 to 15 tanks I soak spray my filter with brake clean and it's good as new again my echo filter is the original at 6 years old

Oh, ok, its the flocked filter that you have that is oiling up, I only run the mesh filters on my own saws and the one I use the most right now has been spun up to 19,500 with good fourstroking but I run it at or near 18,000 for everyday work. I figured it would blow a piston when I first started running it but it now has over 40 tanks run through it and no loss of compression, checked the piston through the exhaust port and still looks great.

18ooo on a everyday work 026 blows my mind.
Tough little buggers definitely.

I wouldn`t recommend anyone doing the modifications to a saw that I do for my personal saws, I build each one with a specific use or need in mind. This saw I speak of never cuts wood over 6" dia, we are clearing a large area of small diameter softwood mostly under 8" and smaller. The stems are too big for our FS 550`s so a small high revving chainsaw with a 16" bar is the tool of our choice for this job, the engine never really gets loaded.

Oh, ok, its the flocked filter that you have that is oiling up, I only run the mesh filters on my own saws and the one I use the most right now has been spun up to 19,500 with good fourstroking but I run it at or near 18,000 for everyday work. I figured it would blow a piston when I first started running it but it now has over 40 tanks run through it and no loss of compression, checked the piston through the exhaust port and still looks great.
I love it when they spin up higher than any other saw can even spin

I love it when they spin up higher than any other saw can even spin
I like it when you show up to help a couple of guy cut wood with your faded, roached out and tired looking saw and they make fun of you. I like it even more after pulling the ripcord and burying them in firewood 'cause my saw runs like pro mod race car.

I was talking to a guy yesterday that wanted some limbs skimmed off 2 trees going twards his house, quote him 150 at first then said I can go to 125 at the lowest and he thought that price was still too spendy, when he has a house on the river bluffs, 2 Harley Davidson motocycles, and I thought total cheep skate after that. but we got talking saws and he also has a oh26 not the pro but stihl a oh26, pulled the filter cover off and he had the metal screen filter on his saw. I want one of those or the nylon mesh for my saw. I a cheep azz too had to make a mesh filter using walmart arts crafts department and my hobby grade CA glue and it made a big difference in how my saw holds rpm.

Latest posts

Back