Stihl 026 Stock / Ported Comparison Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy, if you clean up the inside of the bore what do use to do so? The cylinder I am workin on doesn't have any transfer so no need for acid I just want to make it look like it has never had a piston in it without honing it. If it doesn't matter then I won't worry bout it. Thanks!

I like to scuff the bore with 320 grit sandpaper. I like to think it helps seal the rings faster.

I know I've beat this thread enough, but I have'nt been takein allot of pics lately. I'll start doin more build threads now since I got High speed Innernet.:hmm3grin2orange:
<A HREF=http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/176046.htm> MS290</A>

i'm not trying to Hijack your thread mastermind but can you all tell me what kind of tools you useing to port these saws with? or is it a secret or something if it is i understand if you can't tell secrets :msp_biggrin:

I don't have any secrets. What I'm doing to these saws is nothing new or different. I would love to think I'm doing something special, but it's all been done before. :laugh:

The small tools are dental drills. They use 3/32 burrs with a flat spot on one side. The one on the right is gear reduced and turns slow with a lot of torque.

attachment.php

Doing a 346XP without a angled handpiece is tough, not impossible, but tough. These ports have been widen and raised.

attachment.php

Once again "Great work from the hills of Tennessee".

Yeah Chris you should have kept that dam saw. Now you will never hear the end of it. :laugh:

Great thread Randy, get that oiler fixed on the Homelite?

Yeah Jerry, we found that the EZ was missing a check ball in the pump. It works great now. Jon is going to put the saw you sent back together.....just a matter of finding some time. :laugh:

Where you get the burrs at Randy? How bout the dental grinder? Will the dental grinder take the burrs that the dremel uses? Same shaft size?

Durand, the dental handpieces came from ebay. I bought a big pile of drills and parts that are fairly old.....I think. They take 3/32 shank burrs with a flat spot on one side, so no they aren't the same as dremel bits. I get most of my burrs on ebay as well. The 3/32 ones I cut off and grind a flat on for the dental tools. I chuck the drive end of the dental piece in the chuck of my regular handpiece to drive them. I'm sending a couple dental drills to Wiggs in hopes that he can come up with an elegant adapter for them. :D

Here's a little trick I've picked up for the 026. The squish band hits just the edge of the piston when the base gasket is ditched, this allows it to clear, and raises compression a BUNCH. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

This shot shows how much the muffler must be milled out to fit now.

attachment.php

This is a clean saw. DSS sent this saw here in exchange for some port work.

Did I mention I do port work for trades??? :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

do you dress the ring on the dome after you remachine the squish ? Looks like it would be a hot spot potentially leading to detonation.
this takes me back to sled dragging days. PS: I love the sound of a pencil grinder in the morning

Randy what do you do with open port transfers. All you other "porters" can answer too. I saw what stumpy did on that 290, he kinda massaged the upper area. Have you guys ever done anything really wild with them? Really curious, I know they will never run like a closed port but it seems like Im never gonna find a closed port setup for my lil husky so I was wondering what I can do to a aftermarket 55 cylinder to wake it up.

Durand, the dental handpieces came from ebay. I bought a big pile of drills and parts that are fairly old.....I think. They take 3/32 shank burrs with a flat spot on one side, so no they aren't the same as dremel bits. I get most of my burrs on ebay as well. The 3/32 ones I cut off and grind a flat on for the dental tools. I chuck the drive end of the dental piece in the chuck of my regular handpiece to drive them. I'm sending a couple dental drills to Wiggs in hopes that he can come up with an elegant adapter for them. :D

what do you use to power them so that you can port saws? i been looking on e-bay and i found a lot of them but they don't come with a motor or anything.

do you dress the ring on the dome after you remachine the squish ? Looks like it would be a hot spot potentially leading to detonation.
this takes me back to sled dragging days. PS: I love the sound of a pencil grinder in the morning

I've cut a 35° angle on the dome edge. It doesn't really show in the pics though. I also use a fine file to add a little chamfer to the edge of the piston while it's turning in the lathe.

Randy what do you do with open port transfers. All you other "porters" can answer too. I saw what stumpy did on that 290, he kinda massaged the upper area. Have you guys ever done anything really wild with them? Really curious, I know they will never run like a closed port but it seems like Im never gonna find a closed port setup for my lil husky so I was wondering what I can do to a aftermarket 55 cylinder to wake it up.

I'll be doing a open port 55 soon. I'm thinking auxiliary transfer ports. :D

what do you use to power them so that you can port saws? i been looking on e-bay and i found a lot of them but they don't come with a motor or anything.

I chuck them in a handpiece.

How much are you turning off the top of the piston? Would that "trick" hold true for a newer 260 as well?

Back