Stihl 026 was hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DYNOBOB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Tighten your carb boot clamp!

I know it's been said many times but I'll say again what a great resource this forum is! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this database of knowledge. I'll try to give a little back here.

My saws don't get used near enough and couldn't get the 026 to start the other day. Had 160psi compression and strong spark so I figured the carb needed some new rubber. Thought I'd put a fresh spark plug in first, came on here to double check the gap spec, and found a thread about loose carb boot clamps. Sure enough I got 3+ turns on the clamp screw and the saw will start now. I guess I must have been enriching the H over time to compensate for the air leak. I doubt the carburetor boot clamp had been tightened since new.

I need to check my other saws now.

Wonder how many folks are chasing problems that relate to this? Hard to start, poor idle, runs inconsistent, carb won't adjust...

(I'll add this for future searchers 260 360 036 ms 660 066 025 250 027 270 028 280 029 290 031 038 380 044 440 460 650)

Last edited:
Tighten your carb boot clamp.

Thought I'd put a fresh spark plug in first, came on here to double check the gap spec, and found a thread about loose carb boot clamps. Sure enough I got 3+ turns on the clamp screw and the saw will start now. Wonder how many folks are chasing problems that relate to this?QUOTE]

I might be, did you save the link to the post about boot clamps?

Back