Stihl 026 with 16" .325/.063 bar and 68 drive links of chain - will it fit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have five good 68 drive link .325/.063 chains on hand. I want to buy a Stihl 16" bar spec'd to use .325/.063 67 drive link chain for an 026. Will I be able to adequately tighten this 16" bar to use a chain with one extra drive link of length?

I don't want to buy this size bar if it won't work nor do I want to shorten the chains.

TIA.

Your 68 DL chain loop for an 026 with a 16" bar will work for awhile. The chain then stretches after about a half-dozen tanks of fuel and eventually you have to either (1) knock out one drive link or (2) give the chain t0 a bar on an 025 that is listed at 18" in length. BTDT

Does Stihl specify bar and chain matches so that the adjuster is centered for a brand new set? Or does a new combo start with the adjuster at the far back position so as parts wear you can get the full length of the adjuster's travel?

So I assume that + or - 1 DL from Stihl's chart is generally outside the window of what the chain adjuster can compensate for?

Does Stihl specify bar and chain matches so that the adjuster is centered for a brand new set? Or does a new combo start with the adjuster at the far back position so as parts wear you can get the full length of the adjuster's travel?

So I assume that + or - 1 DL from Stihl's chart is generally outside the window of what the chain adjuster can compensate for?
With a new chain loop, sometimes you start at the center and sometiimes you start at the back position. Seldom do you start with the tension adjuster at the front (thank heavens). But this depends somewhat on the original chain loop MFG.

Well in some cases like running an 8pin, you need 68links. If its anything like a MS261 you can get away with 68 links but not 66. Why not spend 5 minutes removing a link if it needs it.

Back