Stihl 028 and others

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got my 028 cleaned up and it cranked up and seems to run good- haven't cut wood yet. The coil wire was broken right at the coil, I fixed it up maybe it will last for a while. Early this year I cleaned up a Homelite Super EZ and an Echo CS 440 EVL. They both crank up and run good. The EZ looks a little rough and it needs a new chain and sprocket. The Echo is missing the B&C and bar cover. Maybe I'll get them finished one of these days. Its pretty fun to clean them up and get them running, but I think I'd been better to put the $$ towards a new one. Oh well!

Last edited:
I think the 028 is 43cc and the Echo is 45cc so about the same size. Which would you guys consider to be the better saw?

I need a starter pawl for my 028WB. I've seen some for a 028 on ebay one is #1118 195 7200 and the other is #1125 195 7200. Im not sure which one it takes. I also need an air filter. The ones I see replaces 1118 120 (1611 &1615). Will these work on a 028WB? They look like the one on my saw, so I suppose they will.

One other thing, How can I tell what size cc's my saw is? Is it stamped on the saw somewhere? Acres site shows some 028s are 43cc others are 47cc The serial # is 210847668. Any way to "decode" the number or does a dealer have to look it up. I thought maybe xxxx47xxx, means 47cc???????? Thanks for any help.

Drive -- Thanks for posting the pics.

I'm far from being an expert on saws and I'm hesitant to offer input, but my 028 AV WoodBoss is 47cc.

As far as the pawl goes, is the rotor cast or plactic? Cast rotors take the 1118-195-7200 pawl. Plastic rotors take the 1125-195-7200. On the air fitler, all 1118 series filters will work. You may need to take one of the alumium screws out if your filter cover has an alumiun screw in it. Beware that the OEM Stihl is pricey. My retail is $25.12. Good luck with your saw. 028's IMO was the best firewood saw.

I too have a fondness for the 028's. If I want to buck firewood I'll usually grab one. If I want a hot rod I'll use the MS440 or the PS-9010. Wanting total abuse, I'd use the 088 with a 21" bar. It's just cool to watch chips come down like snow fall!!

My Stihl 028 feels like its got good compression and it cranks up easy and runs smooth. Today I was cutting some 12" red oak and seems like it wants to bog now and then. Should it bog down in that wood? I've got a little Homelite 20 (33cc) that was built in late 90's and it seems like it cuts about as fast as the Stihl. I drilled some holes in the Homelite muffler and tuned the carb by ear the best I could and it sounds like it screams pretty good. I've been expecting it to lock up but it hasn't. Could it be Im running the 028 to rich? If I leaned it out would that make it run and cut faster? I think I need a tach to get it right so I won't lean it too much.

Red Oak is tough, a challenge for any saw. Check your compresion. I am getting "028" fever, and I have started the search for one of these classic saws.

Drive -- Thanks for posting the pics.

I'm far from being an expert on saws and I'm hesitant to offer input, but my 028 AV WoodBoss is 47cc.

That's right - they started at 43cc, then 47cc, and the Super is 51.4cc.....

Btw, by modern standards, they all are a bit (read a lot) heavy for their power.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back