Stihl 028 AV Super Rebuild Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang it, something bad happened in here:

4500e1a5ff0e49cf2ef63de4dcaac608.jpg
0a006d578523636d11adca04b4931695.jpg
9401ba593429819889b0372be7057a8f.jpg
f28608fd9491def0ba79597d052b00b2.jpg

Brian

It looks like a needle from a bearing came loose or a piece of the wrist pin clips got into the cylinder. Look for anything that may have some loose inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like circlip is missing on the flywheel side of the piston. Bet that did the damage.

It looks like a needle from a bearing came loose or a piece of the wrist pin clips got into the cylinder. Look for anything that may have some loose inside.

that's what I figured, I guess this one will be a winter project.

Brian

You will definitely need a new or used cylinder and piston

yeah, I guess at this point I might as well split the case and give it a complete once over, who knows where all the metal fragments went.

Brian

I have one good cylinder and piston except it needs a helicoil in the spark plug hole. If you are interested, let me know

Piston looks pretty new, besides the carnage.

Was it OEM or aftermarket? Never seen a OEM do that unless fubared installation.

Have seen similar damage from grenaded bottom/lower rod bearings.
if I understand the history correctly my coworker's father bought it new for the hobby farm the lived on. they have since moved back into the city for the last 15 years it has just sat. I think it is very low hour based on the rest of the saw so either poor assembly or part defect is the root cause. I still feel like making it run though.

Brian

I actually had ordered Caber rings too not knowing this kit already had them. gasket is on the way, just hunting for a jug now.

Brian

Every time I see a photo of the 028 super piston (46mm right?)
I get to wondering about trying to sneak one inside of my Echo pb-620 blower.
That pop-up is what I'm fixated on.
Seems that an aftermarket, Stihl piston, is about half of the price of the Echo one.
That's a bit more attractive to experiment with.

Would be really nice to get a bit more grunt from the Echo, in the upper 6k to mid 7k rpms!

Every time I see a photo of the 028 super piston (46mm right?)
I get to wondering about trying to sneak one inside of my Echo pb-620 blower.
That pop-up is what I'm fixated on.
Seems that an aftermarket, Stihl piston, is about half of the price of the Echo one.
That's a bit more attractive to experiment with.

Would be really nice to get a bit more grunt from the Echo, in the upper 6k to mid 7k rpms!
yeah, I was surprised to see that when I opened it. Part of the reason I want to rebuild it is to some are to the 028 WB which I think is the 44mm and I don't know if it is pop up but none of the other saws I have had this far apart are like this. got the gasket yesterday, still waiting to come across a cylinder.

f253ef8e0c73655fb62afca2432908ca.jpg

Brian

Is there any chance that you (or anyone else) could take and post some measurements of the 028 Super, piston?

Pin size and height from pin to dome. plus the width where the connecting rod fits, would be very interesting.

Latest posts

Back