stihl 028 AV super woodboss specs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well guys i have bad news. i have been having a big problem with my saw and im giving up on it to buy me a husky agan. i can't depend on this saw for nothing. any more.

I just got my 028S running after rebuilding it for the last month or so. It was a PITA but now having cut a few cord this last weekend with it I am all smiles. what's yours doing that has you so frustrated?
matt

I also have a 028 Super....that I bought new back in 1982 and I haven't used it a whole lot but I like it. I need a new chain for it and it will cut like hades. Black oak are you throwing off on the028 Superman? If so then one should realize that the manufacturers of all types of machines, cars,planes,saws,etc. always engineer them better as time goes on. One day we will use lasers to cut trees and won't have to hear the noise and smell them lovely fumes. They are good saws IMHO.

Well if you don't want it anymore you can send it to me, may even pay something for it and shipping.

$200 plus shiping. i have $280 in it with the new bar and chain. but i also have to have a replacement first. not trying to be high priced but to get most of my money back.

I just got my 028S running after rebuilding it for the last month or so. It was a PITA but now having cut a few cord this last weekend with it I am all smiles. what's yours doing that has you so frustrated?
matt

well i have only cut about 9 qurds of wood with it. it has started to ack like it is running out of fuel spit and sputer then die and still have 1/2 tank of fuel or more left. if i take it all apart clean every thing check for any air lecks ya know every thing put it back together then it will run good for anether tank and a 1/2 or so then do it all over agan. i have no lecks in the system any where like im sucking air. every thing gaskets and such look brand new in it. i ever tryed all new gaskets in the carb still no diffrent. i filterd a few gallons of gas for it to make sure the fuel was clean. just done a bunch of stuff trying to fix it and have not got anywhere. im tired of driving all the way out to where i cut wood just to have my saw die and spend most of the day working on it. now i have worked on engines all my life and have yet to have one not run right when im done but i need a saw to run now not a week or month from now when i finaly get it working right. heres a pic of it. its not like its old and beatup or had alot of use. and this pic was before the new bar and chain.
P1080103.jpg
P1080101.jpg
P1080102.jpg

and here is the POS i use for a backup since the stihl wont run.
P1080099.jpg

I also have a 028 Super....that I bought new back in 1982 and I haven't used it a whole lot but I like it. I need a new chain for it and it will cut like hades. Black oak are you throwing off on the028 Superman? If so then one should realize that the manufacturers of all types of machines, cars,planes,saws,etc. always engineer them better as time goes on. One day we will use lasers to cut trees and won't have to hear the noise and smell them lovely fumes. They are good saws IMHO.

yea im sure they have been good for many others. but i don't seem to getalong with stihl. kinda like i don't getalong with ford trucks. if i drive a ford or even a chevy i end up walking home drive a dodge and i can't kill it even when i try. huskys have been good for me for many years when i was loging maybe thay are the ones that will run for me.

I put a new 028 OEM fuel line in mine and it is a little short . The pick up is in the air before the tank is dry . Maybe yours is real short...... Full tank fine , run it it down some and its cavatating ( not your fault ... heard Husky Lovers were always havin' a hard time getting their little short hoses wet !)

I put a new 028 OEM fuel line in mine and it is a little short . The pick up is in the air before the tank is dry . Maybe yours is real short...... Full tank fine , run it it down some and its cavatating ( not your fault ... heard Husky Lovers were always havin' a hard time getting their little short hoses wet !)

:buttkick:haha funny funny. naw both my hoses are plenty long and stay wet.:jawdrop:

well , looks like im going to get mine going. i tore it down yesterday and will acid clean today and see what happens, if it cleans up ill order meteor piston. put it together. if it runs good ill get 16" bar and toss on it

as far as i can tell it is built with the same quality as the new saws and is just as easy to work on

I just worked on a 028 Super AV Wood Boss in the last couple of weeks, so I'm searching for posts on the model.

I'm wondering if the OP ever checked to make sure the fuel filter had not fell off the fuel line. The 1/2 tank issue makes me wonder. I had a 394XP sent to me and ran great for 1/2 a tank then would quit. It wasn't until I went to check the filter that I noticed it was not attached to the line (apparently came loose during shipping).

Also, is the 3.8 hp rating accurate for the 028 Super?

I have on my computer I got it off some sight on the net google it and you should be able to find it if not I can send it to you send me your email address

Not to revive a dead post but I have a 028 super question... Does anyone else have troubles keeping the Stop, Run, Choke button on run... Seems like my neighbors doesn't like to stay on "run." Moves just a little bit up and kills the saw some times...

OH and what is a really good running 028AV super worth? My neightbor offered his up to me but I think I want to go with a new 260pro or a 346xp...

Not to revive a dead post but I have a 028 super question... Does anyone else have troubles keeping the Stop, Run, Choke button on run... Seems like my neighbors doesn't like to stay on "run." Moves just a little bit up and kills the saw some times...

OH and what is a really good running 028AV super worth? My neightbor offered his up to me but I think I want to go with a new 260pro or a 346xp...

maybe you need to bend the combination spring/contact for more force
take off the airfilter cover and look at the switch and you will see...

Sounds like you might be getting a vacuum in the fuel tank. Try cleaning the vent tube for the fuel tank. On my S-10 there is a piece of fuel line with a set screw in it. Occasionally I have to remove the set screw, clean the threads, remove the line and run a cleaning patch through the line. I would NOT recommend replacing that piece of fuel line unless it cracks. I did a few years back and it was too soft and the set screw sealed too well and the saw wouldn't run right. 6 months later it had loosened up and the saw worked good. (I didn't attempt to use the saw during this period, It might not have need that long to loosen up.)

The only issue I've had with mine was the chain throwing problems while cutting small saplings flush to the ground. Other than that, it runs like a champ. I am convinced there is no worn part(s) causing the chain to come off, but I still think the star sprocket is susceptible to throwing the chain when the saw is turned sideways. Straight down cutting, no problems. Only ever had that issue with a 024 Wood Boss and the 028AV Super WB.

BTW - I switched to a Husky 51 for cutting the rest of the saplings. Chain never came off.

I got one of the 028 AV Supers also. Let me know if you need the manual, I have one in PDF format.

Does yours seem a little heavy? They are built solid as a tank, and suppose to be a very reliable saw. I just put a 18" bar on mine the other day. Depending on the chain tensioner, if external between the bar nuts like current saws, they are worth alot more, I think they made those the last two years. Like to hear what others think about the 028 Wood Boss and AV Super.

attachment.php

attachment.php
I am looking for the service manual for this saw. Do you have it? Could you make it available to me? Thanks in advance.

looking for a stihl 044 chainsaw

hi guys looking for a stihl 044 chainsaw for parts if u got one or know of sombody that does send me am messege thanks bush cutter

Latest posts

Back