Stihl 028 AV Wood Boss Carb trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some good info and generous offers here.
I've not fooled with these carbs until yesterday,, my neighbor showed up with a "rebuilt" carb on an old 031 that's waaaay out.(and he paid 30 bucks for the rebuild!!)
I had mentioned air leaks and sech to the guy, from reading other threads, I rectum it's time to start ruling that out and learning a little more about these.
THANKS for the knowlegable advise and good luck to the O.P.
Peace.

Wow. I done lost all my discouragement! It's like Christmas come early! :clap: :dancing: :happybanana: :happy: :rock2:

Guys, i'm alsmost speakless. These are supremely generous offering and I'd be a fool to pass them up.

One part of me does want to say "I wanna do this myself and learn." And I kinda worry/wonder what even just the parts cost could run into if some of the things Adirondackstihl mentions become realities. But I'll cross that bridge when i get there. Harley i'll PM you to exchange details. Thanks so much the offers. :bowdown:

Take off the bar/chain, drain it good, box it up, and send it to me......

Things are slow right now, I won't charge you anything. You pay for parts and shipping.

I have a spare carb for this cause if you need it

Well it's been a while, but this is a happy ending kinda story. a very happy ending.

I boxed up my saw and sent it to harley. When he initially received it he informed me that

Well the saw came today. I hate to tell you that all that was wrong was the carb was way out of adjustment, from what I can see. The idle speed screw was turned in holding the throttle open, and it was a bit rich on the mix...I'll report back after I test it with a bar and chain in some wood, but I think that it is fine.

That was a bit disheartening just for the fact that evidently the yahoo at the stihl shop here doesn't have a clue what he's doing and not only had he cost me the parts for a carb rebuild but now the cost of shipping a seemingly fine saw to someone who does know. :mad:
banghead.gif

But since we had already arrived at this point I asked harley if he would keep the saw for a while and give it a general check over. I had already incurred the expense of sending it to him and would have to pay to have it sent back. I figured I might as well have any other deficiencies fixed while it was in the hands of the expert. I told harley that I wouldn't expect him to do any other work for just his cost as that wasn't part of the original offer. I won't reveal what the new arrangement was but I will say that I am more than thrilled with what he charged me.

List of things harley did:

- my sprocket was shot. installed a new oregon rim sprocket and oiler gear.

- one of the bar studs was wrong and the bar nut was stuck on it so the stud backed out when the nut was removed. replaced the bar stud.

- vacuum tested. passed.

- pressure tested. passed.

- new carb.

Harley ended up putting a new carb on. (he must be a miracle man. my local stihl guy told me carbs for my saw weren't available.) o_O

I had gone through the carb several times, but I never could get it to act right after the saw warmed up. So I got a wild hair the other day and ordered a brand new carb, just to make sure that it was the carb, I figured that I could put it on one of my junk 028s and get one of them running. I fired it up a while ago and it sounds great on the bench. and plan to cut with it in the morning.

The saw runs great.

So, I am extremely happy. :happybanana: Now if i can just learn to keep it maintained and adjusted properly. :reading: :eek:
willy_nilly.gif

Many kudos to HarleyT. thank you so much sir!:numberone: :rock: :bowdown:
cheers2.gif
:rock2:

Apparently, Tillotson has been making carbs available for older Stihl models, I got the one for the 028, just to see if that
his carb was indeed the problem. Figured that, if it didn't cure his problem, I would use it on one of the old carcasses
that I have laying around. It was only $48 shipped.
I also popped on some new clutch springs, as the old ones were a little weak, only $1 each.
I am glad he wasn't in a hurry, I was in the hospital in Feb, just now feeling better. Daughter got married in June.
In years past, I would have kept at the old carb, but now that I am old, fat and lazy, a brand new carb for $48 sounded pretty good, since the rest of the saw was in great shape.
I was going to do pics of the pressure/vac tests, but never got the camera out.

Blast from the Past... I Know this may be a post onto an old post that could just possibly be an echo chamber at this point but away we go....

I recently( about 3 years ago now) lost the only man in my life that ever taught me anything about being a man, i.e. honesty, responsibility, accountability, humbleness, and most relevantly cutting down a tree :) etc. Since his son, my father(sperm donor) couldn't, wouldn't, and didn't do anything that was not servient to fueling his fateful drug and alcohol addiction, this man was more than willing to be the stand in.

Before my greedy uncles and aunts could sell off all my grandparents possessions and home to probably the first bidder, I made sure to rescue a relic of machinery "made in west germany" Woodboss 028. I've babied it with a mix of marine gas(no corn syrup sauce) and have kept it in good repair and have dropped enough logs to make the old man proud.

Within the last month I've been helping a good friend clear some oaks on his property and process them for future bonfires/woodstove ammo. All was good until a couple weeks ago it started exhibiting the OP's symptoms, I did a tear down of carb and made sure she wasn't fouled, beat my head against the wall adjusting the LA, and it honestly got to be a bit emotionally stressing for me to not be able to fix something that seemed so simple.
My gramps was a 30+ year Tech Sarge in USAF, worked on U2, SR-71, and would never even think to have his machines go to any shop. I felt like I'd be letting him down to turn over the woodboss to what could be a crapshot mechanic as mentioned in this thread, so I turned to one of the most important virtues instilled in my DNA- humbleness, which led me to this forum, I've done all of what Harley and others mentioned and my woodboss is back to being the fear of all Oak and Pine trees across Georgia, for this crazy thing we call the internet and all the contributors of this thread, I say thank you for helping someone you never knew you would help and with that help I've restored my self confidence and no longer feel like I'm letting down the spirit of my most favored ancestor- RIP Samo R. King aka "Poppy" 😀👏🙌👍👍

Latest posts

Back