Stihl 028 History?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieDave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a question or two about the Stihl 028 av super. I know this subject was somewhat beat to death recently so I'll stay away from the should I or shouldn't I stuff. One of my local dealers is offering me one thats been freshened up (previous owner did something bad involving the chain brake). It will come with a new 18" bar and chain and 30 day war. for $215.00 and I plan on buying it. What I want to know is, whats the difference between an av, av super, or a woodboss? I'm told this saw was made during the last version of this saw before Stihl went to the different model format. Also I could not find a listing on the acres site for an 028av super ( the word super not listed ). I wanted to get specs for cc, hp, etc.

Search

enter 028 super there, and you'll find the answers, they re all there in old threads on the topic.

NewbieDave said:
I have a question or two about the Stihl 028 av super. I know this subject was somewhat beat to death recently so I'll stay away from the should I or shouldn't I stuff. One of my local dealers is offering me one thats been freshened up (previous owner did something bad involving the chain brake). It will come with a new 18" bar and chain and 30 day war. for $215.00 and I plan on buying it. What I want to know is, whats the difference between an av, av super, or a woodboss? I'm told this saw was made during the last version of this saw before Stihl went to the different model format. Also I could not find a listing on the acres site for an 028av super ( the word super not listed ). I wanted to get specs for cc, hp, etc.

Welcome to the site. Here are some 028 notes. There were three different bore sizes on the 28: 42mm (AV and WB), 44mm (Woodboss) and 46mm (Super, Super Woodboss, anything with Super in it). The ci are 2.92, 3.07, and 3.18 respectively. If its in real nice shape that isn't a bad price for it.
I hope this helps,
Brad

TimberPig said:
Search

enter 028 super there, and you'll find the answers, they re all there in old threads on the topic.

Or you could just go here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/search.php?searchid=417905

It's a search on the topic of 'search'. Next I'll go searching for 'searching' but before that I'll try to figure out why search appears to be misspelled if you use it more than once in a sentence.
John...

Thanks guys, I went to the first "search" and read about a dozen threads. A little bit of conflicting info. the general idea seems to be that "super" has a bigger bore, therefore more cc's. I didn't notice anywhere on this saw where it said woodboss, the top id tag said 028 av with super underneath. As far as condition, it looks to be used vey little since 90% or more of the paint is still there! Saw has electronic ignition instead of points and is getting upgrades in the clutch ( 3 springs versus 1 ). Good dealer support, I think I'll be pleased. Now the old super 2 can be retired to limber. Going to jump off now as we're having an ice and windstorm here in MI- power keeps blipping!

I agree, Dan. I've spent the last 2 weeks shopping the different dealers around here. Some fellas might not have this luxury, but I have at least 4 good Stihl dealers within a 20 mile radius from my home. Only one had a used saw to offer me, the one I'm buying. I also looked at Huskys,Jonsereds, Echos, and even some Poulans and closeout Cub Commercials. Only the cheaper lines offered anything in a 50cc saw w/18" bar for around $200.00. The good stuff jumps to $350 to $450 and thats just not in my budget right now. I talked to my dealer today to commit to the 028 and he told me that I would also get a wrench and scabbard like you would with a new saw. All things considered, great deal. Also got the skinny on why the saw came in to begin with. Seems the original owner got the saw stuck and overheated the clutch and oiler gear-he chose to put money into a new saw. His loss, my gain!

Latest posts

Back