Stihl 028 Muffler and Chainbrake Assembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a quarter for scale. To me it looks like the outlet is less than half the size of the screen. Do I add more fins for venting like is on there now? Or do I put some on the other side that does not have an outlet?

Is there some sort of chamber between the screen and the outlet? Screen looks like it's facing forward but out let is on the side.

On mufflers with screens beneath the louvers I open up and/or add louvers. There are lots of ways to mod mufflers......

You could add a 2nd ex port using a piece of tubing brazed/welded in, with a cutoff saw (br400) screen insert. Lakeside53 (Andy) described this years ago but the pictures got lost when the site crashed. It's a simple but well thought out way to add a 2nd port. Try a search, I think he was doing a MS361?

Mad Professor- yes there is a chamber between the screen and outlet. I plan to open it up by cutting louvers to look like original and then add another port on the other side. I have a Husqvarna 61 Rancher that has a screw on port that looks good so I’m gonna try to find another one and put that on. I don’t have the skills for welding or brazing so that’s out.

I have the serial number for my saw.

Anyone have a way of looking it up and seeing what year it is? Thanks in advance.

CD643CBE-DCE0-4FB2-BC71-B7F42934B5E4.jpeg Finally got my shipment and have my chainsaw in hand. I snapped a couple photos to see what kind of chain brake I’m looking for. Here it is.

E769A043-4AE4-42FB-93ED-A5F3FE15302E.jpeg 845F987A-9FA8-4DE8-B05A-19BA4F8D49B2.jpeg
I’m pretty sure I have another problem. I took off the chain tensioner and underneath it there is JB Weld. Once I split the case I was able to see that there is a crack on the inside that someone sealed with the JBWeld. I don’t have the ability or skills to weld but I would like to reinforce the area so can I put more JB Weld inside the oil reservoir? The pics are of what I’m talking about. The cracks looks like the size of a pencil eraser.

I was thinking that. I am going to watch eBay and the for sale section on here and see if someone has a good deal on one. Thank you guys for the help.

Post a “wanted” ad. Lots of folks here have 028 carcasses laying around that they wouldn’t think to post for sale.

They’re kinda like a 5/16ths wrench. I’d never think to ask “does anyone want this?” But if someone said they needed one, I think I have 5 or 6 in the drawer.......

View attachment 670788 Finally got my shipment and have my chainsaw in hand. I snapped a couple photos to see what kind of chain brake I’m looking for. Here it is.

If you do decide to use that case, you're going to have to look for the early (non-wraparound) chain brake assembly. They are harder to find than the later assembly.
1535169904499_IMG_20170224_144543_466.jpg

So I posted on the want adds and no luck. I am wondering if anyone has a early 028 case with the chain brake assembly they would like to sell. I was hoping to stay with the early one because the parts I have currently are all in great condition and I don't know with year changes if they will all line up. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

So I posted on the want adds and no luck. I am wondering if anyone has a early 028 case with the chain brake assembly they would like to sell. I was hoping to stay with the early one because the parts I have currently are all in great condition and I don't know with year changes if they will all line up. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

An ebay seller who goes by pattionken was able to find me a junk crankcase with the old type 028 brake parts. I believe he has a saw shop. You might try contacting him. Nice guy.

Latest posts

Back