Stihl 028 Super Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had been wanting an 028 Super for a long time and finally found one in really nice shape. As I was cleaning it up I noticed a small 2" tube that goes over a small port right behind the air filter and sticks slightly out a hole in the plastic housing. My first guess was that it was some sort of vent, but on closer examination I noticed a small screw in the end of the plastic tube that completely blocks anything going through it. As I moved the tube out of the way for cleaning it totally disintegrated. I haven't been able to find the tube on any parts list and can't for the life of me figure why a port would have a tube that is plugged. One other thing that is interesting is there was another identical screw on the other end of the tube that went over the port. I'm hoping one of you guys that know a lot more about chainsaws than I do can tell me the purpose of this tube. I think I can probably make a replacement, but why would a tube be blocked on both ends and then go over a port?

The tube and screw are the tank vent. It's just a simple way to have a tank vent. Air will go past the screw through the tube. But gas won't pour out like crazy if you tilt it. It will still come out a little bit tho

I think you only need one screw.

I have fixed five Stihl 028 chainsaws exactly this way. A short #6 machine screw on the end of the tube will also work. The last 028 was made well over 20 years ago. The rest of the saw outlasted the neoprene tank vent tubing and that's not bad in my book. The 028 never ceases to amaze me. That's why I still own two of them.

Latest posts

Back