stihl 028 wb iratic idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sehseh1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a 84 028 wb. in real nice shape that i got from my father. he,s not much for maintaince ! it sat for a while and was starting hard and then would idle up on its own. i rebuilt the carb and she starts nice now and cuts like a bear but still idles wierd. at normal idle if you cut into a peace of wood it wont come back to idle for a few seconds after you let off and some times it will rev up a little on its own from idle . now its not redlineing but i hate to have the chain spinning
with it sitting there.

I think it is time for a vacum test

You need to test the crank case for leaks. Before it is to late

is there common spots were they will leak . the bottom line off the carb doesn't seen to have a super tight fit.

Easiest to start with the rubber pieces. The small impulse line from behind the carb to the case should be checked. The large maifold that goes from behind the carb to the cylinder intake. Any cracks or deformations in either of these two and just replace them.

Then the oil seal underneath the flywheel would be the next thing I'd check.

I just took a project from a friend of mine on a 028 av. I am afraid this saw needs more than a pressure test or two. Looks like the things has been drug behind a truck down the highway by the starter rope :angry: He dont know what maintenance means. I have already rebuild the carb, cleaned the air filter, got it to finally run, thats better than it did when I got it. It wont idle normally, it revs high rpm awesome, but mid and low range just dont work worth a squat. I may be in the same boat, but I havent tore into the saw far enough to tell much yet. Muffler to cylinder bolts were loose, 1 was floating around the inside of the muffler. I pray there is hope for this thing. After looking inside the exhaust port, a piston and cylinder may be in order. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. Not trying to hijack anyone's post, no offense meant.

028 tear down

i just tore this saw down . i left the crank case fully intact with the jug.
impulse line was cracked and rotten as was the rubber carb boot on the jug side
at the clamp. should i go further or just reassemble with new boot and impulse

also 5.50 +2.00$ shipping ok price for the impulse line (ebay) or will i be better of at my local stihl shop.

also 5.50 +2.00$ shipping ok price for the impulse line (ebay) or will i be better of at my local stihl shop.

Not bad since it would probably cost about $25 or so at a dealer, however, on ebay your probably getting used parts that may or may not have the same problem. Sometimes it's real hard to see the holes in the rubber parts. Personally I just buy new at the dealer.

40 $ fix

Well that did it. New impulse line , intake boot, and a fuel line and filter shes back to 100%. two pulls and she came right back to life. glad i didn't send it out for repair probably would have been twice the 40$ it cost for the parts. finished it off with a 3/8 rim drive kit and a brand new 20" gb protop bar put it to the wood last night. cuts mint.
thanks for the help!! :D :rock:

:cry: Sorry, I can't help it, I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

I just rebuilt my 026- same deal. The rubber was cracked on the impulse and fuel and intake boot were hard and going to crack. New piston and cylinder, fuel, impulse and intake rubber and it's like a brand new saw. The only downside- the dealer got me for $34 for the intake boot alone. At least it was in stock. It passes the pressure and vacuum test too. Sweet! Thanks for the info!
Brad

They just happened to have a used intake boot. they were out of stock on new ones. 13.00$ was a deal and it might as well been new it was in perf shape.

Latest posts

Back