stihl 028 WB points and condenser

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortalitool

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey fellas, just got an 028 WB im going to rebuild. This is the older mag. gas tank/handle style. Its in really good shape. Great compression. No spark. I was looking on the Ebay lastnight and came across a way to make the points and condenser go away, and go to a newer style ignition. I would have to buy a new ignition and flywheel to match im assuming. Is it worth going away from the points and Condenser? or should i repair the points and condenser and leave it as is?

Thanks,

Mortalitool

In my experience with the 028s get one of those "chips" that replace the points and condenser. They only cost 20 bucks and you don't need any other parts unless the coil is bad itself.

They easiest thing to do is bolt on a coil from a ms 290. Same coil as a lot of Stihl saws but its usually easier to find one from a blown 290. Part number 0000 400 1300 I believe. Remove your old coil, cut the wires going to the points under the flywheel and bolt in the new coil. I gap them at .012. If you want to get fancy you can pull the flywheel off and completely remove the points but it isn't necessary.

You may have to use the original kill wire and spark plug lead from the 028 to get the right terminal and length. Your saw will now be "electronic".

Just wanted to clarify that when using the newer 290 type coil you do not change the flywheel. Use the original 028 flywheel.

Ive done the little Chip thing on many old Homelites . Like 30 mins. of your time . Cut....splice...mount it up...done . The chips really seem to add a little top end RPM's as well . Whatever you decide to do...make sure it involves not messing with the old slow higher maint. points !!

I've always heard the chip conversion is the way to go on an 028. I've never installed one, but have run a saw with the chip and it ran great. That said, if you decide to stick with the old school ignition & need parts let me know. I have a NOS condenser and set of points.

I've always heard the chip conversion is the way to go on an 028. I've never installed one, but have run a saw with the chip and it ran great. That said, if you decide to stick with the old school ignition & need parts let me know. I have a NOS condenser and set of points.
Do you want to sell the points and condenser. [email protected]

Latest posts

Back