Stihl 028 WB rambling and questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myarmistired

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up this saw for free and have divested countless hours of TCL and a few dollars in cleaning it up. I have rebuilt the carb, new fuel line and filter, air filter, impulse line, sparkplug, along with a new bar and chain. I have readjusted the airgap for the mag.

The saw seems like it has great compression, but runs like crap complete with huge flat spots and random stalls. It’s also a major pain to get started. I’m running 89 with Stihl oil. I have looked at the piston through the exhaust port and it looks clean, no scuffing. This morning I started the saw and it was running like it had a misfire. The spark is very weak (orange)

I don’t have a flywheel puller so I have no idea if this thing uses points or an electronic pickup.

My questions:

What should I set the carb screws out to? I have been starting at a turn and half.

Does this saw use points or an electronic pickup?

I noticed the air cleaner cover says Super on it. Short of pulling the cylinder off how can I tell?

The handle wrap is ready for the recycling bin will other 028 handles fit like 028AV etc?

The muffler is kind of ready for the bin also can I use one off another later 028 etc

Does anyone have a source for a cheap flywheel puller?

Is this saw worth putting any more money into or should I give it a burial in the shed?

saw.jpg

Hello Guys Just joined tonight.
I will see if I can find an intro for this site later...
I bought this 028WB on ebay and just installed a new handle today.UPS broke the handle in shipping. I replaced the handle with a metal one.
EchoNewparts041.jpg

The chain jumped off while using this saw is this common on the 028?
Thanks for your response.
Sorry for the thread hijack just getting started here....

Latest posts

Back