Stihl 028 wood boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneycutter

Kidneycutter
Reaction score
i bought this saw spares/repair. Base gasket seems to have perished but I cant remove the cylinder as my t27 has too big a shank to get the right angle. (ordered a t handle torx). Anyway I wanted to buy the rings and gasket but it appears there are different size piston rings for this model 44mm and 46mm I’m guessing the wood boss ans av super are different sizes?
does anybody know what size I need?

i bought this saw spares/repair. Base gasket seems to have perished but I cant remove the cylinder as my t27 has too big a shank to get the right angle. (ordered a t handle torx). Anyway I wanted to buy the rings and gasket but it appears there are different size piston rings for this model 44mm and 46mm I’m guessing the wood boss ans av super are different sizes?
does anybody know what size I need?
Best to measure as 028 has been around so long a lot of Frankensaws with parts from various vintages. There was a 42mm piston too.

You could try to measure bore through the ex port. But easy to mistake a 2mm difference.

Another way to tell a Super 46mm, is the piston is domed, the 42-44mm are flat.

A handy tool to have is a scrench, that has a T27 torx rather than flat tip screwdriver tip. I carry both type screnches when I'm out cutting.

For shop I think a Whia (sp?) or Snapon tools work good

jug finished.jpg

Best to measure as 028 has been around so long a lot of Frankensaws with parts from various vintages. There was a 42mm piston too.

You could try to measure bore through the ex port. But easy to mistake a 2mm difference.

Another way to tell a Super 46mm, is the piston is domed, the 42-44mm are flat.

A handy tool to have is a scrench, that has a T27 torx rather than flat tip screwdriver tip. I carry both type screnches when I'm out cutting.

For shop I think a Whia (sp?) or Snapon tools work good

View attachment 919201
Yeah I’ve got a torx 27 scrench but the shank is too thick to locate the screw head. Anyway I think I’ll wait for the right tool then measure and order.
never had this problem had plenty of pots off in the past I think the holes in the cylinder fins are not quite aligned with the cylinder bolt hole. a thinner shank should help get the right angle otherwise ill Have to get the file out.
thanks for replies ….I hope it’s 44mm…

Yeah I’ve got a torx 27 scrench but the shank is too thick to locate the screw head. Anyway I think I’ll wait for the right tool then measure and order.
never had this problem had plenty of pots off in the past I think the holes in the cylinder fins are not quite aligned with the cylinder bolt hole. a thinner shank should help get the right angle otherwise ill Have to get the file out.
I've taken a saw file to open up the holes in the fins on my 038S ----> 038M conversions. Best done when jug is off.

Check to that the screw heads are not just full of sawdust crap. Thin piece of stiff wire works good for that

Had the same problem with a couple older stihls we worked on. Bought one from my Stihl dealer that fits my drill. Thinner diameter. $6 or 7.

If you can see a piston dome through the ex port it's 46mm for sure.

Concerning tools, on new saws does Stihl still give you a basic tool kit? Way back when , when I purchased my 066 they gave a kit with: Scrench, basic T27 driver, 2 screwdrivers, in a plastic pouch.

Are OEM cylinders still available?
I don't have current price list, 2019 does not show P/C assy but does 46mm piston ($97!!!).

Meteor has P/C, pistons, rings. Might want to find good used OEM cyl and get meteor piston.

Note that the pistons are sized. OEM cylinders are marked A B C for size. I'd measure cylinder and go for ~0.0025" skirt clearance

1 028.png

Latest posts

Back