Stihl 028 wood boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look like some gouges/bad plating. Check those with a fingernail to see if they go in, or maybe some transfer sticking up you can remove?

Your best bet is to find good used cylinder, or get a meteor kit.

I know 028 gasket kits are NLA, but I thought gaskets were? They may have changed # from IPL , #1118 029 2306 might be case gasket? Nope, that's base gasket. Probably aftermarket gasket available, I'd use those but not seals

The seals were available and are same as BR400 blower, the blower gasket kit is cheaper than buying just seals.

It does look like some gouges/bad plating. Check those with a fingernail to see if they go in, or maybe some transfer sticking up you can remove?

Your best bet is to find good used cylinder, or get a meteor kit.

I know 028 gasket kits are NLA, but I thought gaskets were? They may have changed # from IPL , #1118 029 2306 might be case gasket?

The seals were available and are same as BR400 blower, the blower gasket kit is cheaper than buying just seals.
Thanks for the information. I thought about a meteor kit or a tecomec kit.

Most guys here have a stack of junkers.

Always good to have a carcass to rob parts from on the old saws.

I put an OEM P/C on my 028S ~ 25 years ago, still in great shape. I got a 064 a while back that came with two parts saws in a box, one was a 024S, the other a 028S. The 028S looked to have great P/C I'm keeping for a spare, it also had the rare rim clutch drum. The 024S has stuff I can use on my 026s. Lucked out on the bonus saws.

Have carcasses for my 038 and 056 saws too.

Thanks for the information. I thought about a meteor kit or a tecomec kit.
The Tecomec kits used to be OEM quality, but they are Chi-Com now. I think I'd go with Meteor unless you can locate NOS Italian Tecomec.

Check old time dealers/shops, I've seen ones with room fulls of saws, you might get lucky, or post a want in trading post here.

2 years ago i bought a Meteor P/C kit to replace my 028S straight gased top end. Intake was partially clogged and upper transfers are not "angled".
So i bought an used OEM jug from ebay.

2 years ago i bought a Meteor P/C kit to replace my 028S straight gased top end. Intake was partially clogged and upper transfers are not "angled".
So i bought an used OEM jug from ebay.
Post some pictures of the Meteor kit. People here would be interested in the quality of AM kits.

Note that both the 028 and 038 intake ports don't match the intake boot, this is on purpose not a poor casting/flaw. They also have the "tonsil" at the top of the port for ring support.

1 028.png

Here are the pics of the Meteor jug. Notice i use it as a practice grinding jug. I have grind some of the intake to enlarge it like the OEM jug (OEM is untouched).

IMG_20210916_211807.jpg

Meteor VS OEM Intake (Meteor is on the left)

IMG_20210916_210036.jpg
METEOR Intake
IMG_20210916_211558.jpg

OEM Intake

IMG_20210916_211618.jpg

OEM Transfers
IMG_20210916_211354.jpg

METEOR Transfers : upper and lowers are less wider than OEM. Meteor upper is not angled.
IMG_20210916_211236.jpg

OEM Exhaust
IMG_20210916_210419.jpg
METEOR Exhaust
IMG_20210916_210414.jpg

OEM Transfers
View attachment 929824

METEOR Transfers : upper and lowers are less wider than OEM. Meteor upper is not angled.
View attachment 929825

OEM Exhaust
View attachment 929826
METEOR Exhaust
View attachment 929827
Got you on that. Shape of intake is not directed like OEM and transfers do not direct charge back towards intake side like OEM. The tonsil on the intake is down right ugly and is not going to support a ring well.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Reinforces my belief that OEM jugs are the best.

The old Italian Tecomec stuff was comparable to OEM. Here is a 038M. A little bit of casting flash on intake tonsil is only minor flaw. Transfers point back to intake, and chamfers are beautiful:

intake.jpgexhaust.jpgexhaust2.jpgtransfers.jpgDSC_0098.jpg

Latest posts

Back