Stihl 028 Woodboss help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
An update to this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=86091

They decided to have me look at the 028 to see if I could get it going. I thought I’d simply dump the old fuel, put in some fresh mix and see what would happen. A few pulls on choke until it coughed, a few more with the choke off, and it runs! It revved up fairly decent also. Was I surprised! The saw had been sitting in a shed for at least 5 years or more. The saw was filthy, so I have been cleaning it up…not to Brad (blsnelling) standards :)…but getting it a lot better than it was. I have also been checking a few parts for maintenance purposes. The fuel line and fuel tank vent need to be replaced. The impulse line has a small surface crack, and it might last, but I have suggested that it be replaced. The handlebar is bent, and it might be possible to bend it back, but we have found a good used one locally. The 2 front AV mounts were broke, so we got 2 brand new ones (instead of used ones). I’ll put in a carb kit because it sat so long with the old fuel. The rim sprocket is good. I have a fuel filter to give them. After the carb kit, I’ll see how it runs and maybe replace the spark plug. The 16” bar has know paint left on it, but it is usable. The chain has some life left in it. The chain catcher should be replaced…anybody have one for sale? One other thing is that the saw pulled 160 psi cold.

The mystery is why there is no bar adjustment…the whole assembly is missing. They (the dad) don’t know what happened to it. I’m thinking that someone got the bar pinched, and in trying to release the saw, broke the bar adjuster. Instead of getting it fixed, whoever removed the whole assembly, and tried just tightening the bar down and cutting as is. One of the son’s did mention that he remembered his dad having to constantly tighten the chain… Anyway, I have included a picture of the IPL that shows the different bar adjust assemblies for this saw, a picture of where the assembly should go on the saw, and a picture of the sprocket cover. Also I have a picture of the name plate. So to anyone that has this version of the 028, have I circled the correct bar adjust assembly on the IPL? If I am correct, I think I have found one online. If not, I’ll have to see if Stihl still stocks them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

They want to try a 18” B&C (.325”, .063”). Obviously the 16” should cut faster, but they’re not like most of us here on AS, and the saw should do okay for their liking. And it would be good for them to have a second bar anyway. Am I correct in this B&C thinking?

Kevin

Thought I'd bump my thread for someone who has been at work and is now on AS. My main question is the bar adjuster. If someone with the same version of 028 (Woodboss EQ) as I am dealing with can post a pic of the bar adjuster on their saw, or just confirm that the one in the IPL that I have circled is the right one to get.

Kevin

Looks like the right one. The other one looks like the side adjuster, and I wouldn't be the one to ask if that one could be fitted, but it doesn't look like it.

That 028 will accept a side adjuster. But the clutch cover cover will not accept a side adjuster. I just did this to an 026. I drilled a hole in the clutch cover and used a side adjuster setup, mush better than the front adjuster, which is a PITA! The adjuster is cheap. Looks like someone just threw the wrong clutch cover on it, or possibly it may have had a front adjuster, but it WILL accept the newer, better side adjuster setup!

You could also swap the clutch cover for one with the side adjuster hole if you dont want to drill the one you have.

That 028 will accept a side adjuster. But the clutch cover cover will not accept a side adjuster. I just did this to an 026. I drilled a hole in the clutch cover and used a side adjuster setup, mush better than the front adjuster, which is a PITA! The adjuster is cheap. Looks like someone just threw the wrong clutch cover on it, or possibly it may have had a front adjuster, but it WILL accept the newer, better side adjuster setup!

Did you need to use a drill press on the sprocket/clutch cover? Or will a handheld with the cover in a vise work? I'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing a proper job of drilling the cover. I wouldn't be hesitant if the saw was mine.

Thanks for the replies. The saw isn't mine. I'm working on it and getting the parts needed for a friend and his family (dad and brother).

Today I had bid on what I believed was the correct bar adjuster (for the sprocket cover, front access)...but got outbid. I'll probably have to get my dealer to order the assembly...if it's still available. I'll ask my friend what he wants to do about the side access bar adjuster and about the sprocket cover options.

Kevin

Back