Stihl 028Super and storm clean-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, while I'm here looking for a smaller saw for "lighter" work, I thought I'd show you guys some of the firewood I've been cutting lately. We had some strong winds blow through the area last week, and luckily we didn't get any damage. The neighbor, on the other hand, wasn't so fortunate and lost a HUGE white oak.

So far, we've cut 8xF250 loads out of the tops with another 3 or more on the ground, not including what you see left of the trunk. The pictures show where we were trying to cut through the base with our saws. I've got an 028 Super, and the neighbors are using an 028WB and an MS290. Biggest bar we had was 20" on the 290. We'd cut a little and bust blocks out with wedge and maul. Finally had another neighbor feel sorry for us and bring over a 660 to block it out, but I thought we did a decent job for no better equipped than we were! Tree measures 56-inches across where we were cutting.

Enjoy a few pictures...

2011-05-28143822.jpg

2011-05-28143843.jpg

2011-05-28143859.jpg

2011-05-28143923.jpg

The 028's are usually up to the job... Gotta love em'... As long as the oiler is working...:msp_rolleyes: That's an impressive tree... Solid too.:rock:

The old 028 super is a great saw. It’s like a faithful dog. Always ready to go and will give all it’s got till the tanks empty. Remember it’s not the size of the saw in the fight, but the size of the fight in the saw! Nice job dismantling that monster. :chainsaw:

Every time we get a good storm, I pray for neighbors to lose trees like that so I can cut em up! Shame to lose an ancestor of a tree like that though...

Haha, you're not kidding there! Just got in from hauling the rest of the tops out. Three more heaping loads on the old F250 long bed did the trick. Now we've got to start whittling away at that log!

When we get done, I think I'm going to get to help cut up the 9 other trees down on his property. They are mostly poplar, but I think there's a maple or two and maybe even an ash in there. :rock:

a tree that old if the homesite is old is very likely to contain some metal. Not much you can do about it but don't be surprised to find nails, fence wire, hinges, bullets and all sorts of chain destroying goodies. If I cut up a large old tree at a residence I allow for a wrecked chain. Oh, and speaking of chain, I have found that too (log chain) Great cutting challenge you've taken on there.

a tree that old if the homesite is old is very likely to contain some metal. Not much you can do about it but don't be surprised to find nails, fence wire, hinges, bullets and all sorts of chain destroying goodies. If I cut up a large old tree at a residence I allow for a wrecked chain. Oh, and speaking of chain, I have found that too (log chain) Great cutting challenge you've taken on there.

The homesite isn't all that old, but it was probably carved from an older farm. The tree did have a strand of barbed wire sticking out of it and the center was black (looked charred) from having something in it as well. We blocked that section out and will probably dispose of it somewhere without messing with it.

cutting, hauling, and handling all this wood sure makes it difficult for a fella to get out of bed in the mornings. My desk job is KILLING ME!!!

cutting, hauling, and handling all this wood sure makes it difficult for a fella to get out of bed in the mornings. My desk job is KILLING ME!!!

:hmm3grin2orange: I agree with this!!!

Latest posts

Back