Stihl 029 etc. Who is the freaking moron engineer....engine pan bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was such a pleasure working on a Husqvarna 50, then I worked on the Stihl ms250 and its big brother the 310... I decided there must be a special place in hell for Stihl engineers, the ms250 in particular was nothing but torture for anyone to work on. |Their only saving grace is that when you finally finish your cursing and get them together they actually run not too bad.

What were your issues putting it together? These saws seem to get a lot of hate but I don't mind them, the impulse line on the ms259 can be a pita and the I have no idea why the 290s etc had to have a bar nut go into the engine pan but once you've done a few they aren't too bad to work on imho.

What were your issues putting it together? These saws seem to get a lot of hate but I don't mind them, the impulse line on the ms259 can be a pita and the I have no idea why the 290s etc had to have a bar nut go into the engine pan but once you've done a few they aren't too bad to work on imho.
The MS 250 is so cramped you pretty much need child's fingers to work on them without grief. Then there's the design flaws with both saws- poor mufflers, undersized recoil pulleys, self tapping engine pan bolts, difficult to install rubber isolators to name a few. Good thing aftermarket parts are so cheap, otherwise the vast majority of these saws would wind up in a landfill, which is where I actually found my samples.

Have you ever seen one come loose tapping m6x1 with blue loctite?
never tried, stihl lists medium and high strength loctite for those bolts and just over 8 fp torque when reusing the cylinder. but be warned, installing fine thread bolts into bare aluminum threads can result in easily pulled out threads. Thread inserts would be your best option or get new stihl pan bolts.
The isolator bushings are a royal pta to get into and out of the plastic caps, I wouldent touch one of these versions without several long versions of hemostats, picks, flat head screwdrivers etc to combat the hoses and wires. The damn impulse hose hole in the housing is a hair too small requiring too much effort that can result in the hose being torn or stretched. Do not use chicom hoses on this saw it will bite you in the @ss every single time.
I love running this series of saw to cut rounds but not for felling, the trick to working on these is to take the whole thing apart, trying sneaky repairs on them gets you no where.

Well Sh*t...... now to decide if this 290 Farm Boss is worth the money, time and effort....lol

NOTE: Not my personal saw. My uncles brother saw.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 25
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Stihl MS290 Farm Boss.jpg
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 25
i dont even attempt to clean the threads and they are useless if you gorilla arm the screws in.... your best bet is fill holes with 2 parts epoxy, let it dry then drill your pilot hole for the self tapping screws and let it create its new hole again.

Latest posts

Back