Stihl 029 to 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, I have a tired 029 and I am planning to make it the 039. Can someone recommend a kit for this? I have been looking at HL Supply however, I have not done any business with there products. I see that they offer a complete rebuilt engine, or just the upper half, cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pins, seals, and bearings. Also what sealant should I use? Thanks, Ken

NWP short block assy. is an easy switch. Comes to you already sealed and vac tested. Just torque down and re-assemble. I've done 5 of them. Pretty simple.

Hawkins, But this is more than I want to spend on a saw built almost 30 years ago.
You can get by with a p/c kit on ebay for around 30 bucks if you don't mind some assembly work. There are several vendors that have a decent product. Vostore is one vendor, 24.95 is what I paid for my last one from them. Putting the engine together is the easiest part of the undertaking..

get the hyway titan nickle with popup piston kit or a cross performance kit, they make much much better power than the cheap kits..for sure replace the fuel hose and impulse hose with it apart. Use yamabond, hondabond, permatex optimum black or durko to seal it.
those saws still command 300 bucks for a 029 and 450 bucks for a 039 in good shape...comparable new models are what double that ?

get the hyway titan nickle with popup piston kit or a cross performance kit, they make much much better power than the cheap kits..for sure replace the fuel hose and impulse hose with it apart. Use yamabond, hondabond, permatex optimum black or durko to seal it.
those saws still command 300 bucks for a 029 and 450 bucks for a 039 in good shape...comparable new models are what double that ?
Motoseal does a good job also. Around here you can get it at NAPA and is generally cheaper than some of the others. It's made by Permatex also.

some things that I think are a must when you do the swap.

new seals like mentioned above

open up the muffler, it's super restrictive and I would image there would be no gain in adding the 390 cylinder without opening it up.

bigger high speed jet. the 290 comes with a .54 and the 390 is .58. I drilled mine out to .64 which is inline with what the brazil only model 390 is.

the bigger jet doesn't hurt its ability to idle or start well either. once warmed up I can start mine with a 1/4 pull of the rope.

Latest posts

Back