Stihl 029 was running, now fires and quits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl 029 super. New coil, fresh plug and mix. Cut some oak for about a half hour. Couple times when I set it down to rest a minute, it slowed and quit, but started right up.

Then, it would start on pull, but quit when I touched the trigger. Does not seem to fire at all in the "start" position (not the choke position, that floods it), but moving it to run position will pop after a pull or two, but quits sometimes even before I touch the throttle trigger.

I did notice some fuel was spilling, apparently from my home brew tank vent, which had fallen apart, Just a piece of tygon with the set screws pushed in. I had just refueled in the middle of this thinking it might be low and got it a bit too full.

Check fuel line for cracks as it comes out of tank and if you used an aftermarket modul, you may have got your 2 hours of life that they sometimes last.
better to get a used oem of eBay etc- will last way longer than new af

Not sure what it is yet, but it is sure fuel related. I have a hard time getting it started without giving it squirt of mix into the air filter. Then it fires right up and runs fine. Maybe I'm just getting too old you yank it as hard as it wants.

Latest posts

Back