stihl 031 and 510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The stihl 031 ,and 510 models, are they any good? How old are they, when were the produced? I can pick up two of these saws for next to no money, they look a bit used, but not sure if it's a good deal. We are talking like $30.00 for them...?they both have bars, the 031 looks like a new bar, and thehy look complete...any thoughts?

There is no such thing as a Stihl 510. This is a common mistake when referring to the Stihl S-10, which is a fairly desirable collector's saw. The 031 is a saw that would still have a place cutting firewood or doing some smaller chores around the house. Although it is heavy and underpowered compared to a newer model, it's put together pretty well.

If I was in your shoes I would buy them both immediately, put the 031 to work as a beater saw, and consider the S-10 as a restoration project or a parts saw for another resto project. For that kind of money there is no reason not to snap them up.

There is a thread titled "Public Service Thread", where i attempted to
show a scan of Stihl's listing of saws and their year of production.

At that price, RUN back and buy those two saws....

I inherited my dads 031 Stihl that I used to cut firewood on Sunday afternoons 30 years ago. That saw still runs as good today as it did then and I like it just as well as I did then except for one thing, the darned thing has gained weight over the years! 031's are great saws and real workhorses, buy the thing or you will regret it.

Dpcutter,

There is no question here. You are talking about buying 2 Stihl chainsaws for the price of the bar on the 031.
No offense intended but this is a no brainer. Get them bought and in your possession A.S.A.P.
Mike

P.S. I love 031s and 032s Great saws and bulletproof if given any maintainence at all.

Latest posts

Back