Stihl 031 Chain Saw Not getting gas to run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 031 that someone gave me and had old gas in it. The saw has not been started in 9 years. I drained old gas out and put new in. Would not fire. I took spark-plug out and poured small amount of new gas in and replaced spark-plug and then it fired right up and would run until gas used up. What do you suggest that I do to get it to run? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

JamesReed said:
I have a Stihl 031 that someone gave me and had old gas in it. The saw has not been started in 9 years. I drained old gas out and put new in. Would not fire. I took spark-plug out and poured small amount of new gas in and replaced spark-plug and then it fired right up and would run until gas used up. What do you suggest that I do to get it to run? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

First pull the gas filter out of the fuel tank and clean it. You may be surprised by what you find.

Second look at the carb. It could be Walbro or Tillitson. Some of the parts interchange and others do not.

If your rebuild carb...

Third there is a screen in the carb to trap debris before entering the jets. Make sure it is clean.

Four reset the H an L jets to specs. Then adjust as you normally would.

Five means go let 'er rip.;)

Yes, the filter came out with a foam insert, which after 30 years or so, tends
to fall apart. The remains of which wind up inside the carb.
You would think Stihl would make their stuff last longer......
Like Skwerl said, rebuild the carb. Do a search for detailed instructions.

As Fish and the others say... and of course replace the old filter, and check the fuel lines - it's a 2 part line (often a PITA to replace) that often just fails to piece in saws with very old gas (years).

Actually the bottom line is very, very durable, and I rarely see it fail. When it
does, it is usually at the top, where the expander elbow fitting is. The
piece down to the carb is the one that usually falls apart, but is replaceable
with generic fuel line. But as stated above, the foam insert of the original
filter falls apart, and the remains usually collect in the carb screen, like a small
bit of snuff, so the needle must be removed, and that whole passage blown
out during the carb rebuild.

Thanks for all the advice. Just found this forum last night and sure is nice to get help from all of you. Many thanks!

Here is where I am on trying to fix my Stihl 031av. I cleaned the foam in the fuel filter. Looks good. Made sure the fuel line from gas tank to carb was clear. Ran air through it and seemed clear. I think I need some tips and help with what and how to clean and look for in the carb. Took the carb off and there was a square plate with four small screws in each corner and gasket under it that covered everything. Slowly peeled back and looked inside. There was an opening with a wire mesh screen that looked solid white. The carb is a Walbro WA2. Should I have tried to clean out that screen and what is used to clean the carb? I did put it all back together and poured gas in spark plug hole and it fired up and ran great until it ran out of gas.

A screen that is "solid white" is blocked. Take your foam fuel filter and throw it a far away as you can, find $5 and buy a new Stihl filter. The new stihl filters are very good and rebuildable for about $2 (every year to two).

Don't dig out the screen and just try to clean it - you need to rebuild the carb... buy a K10-WAT kit ($5-12) depending on where you get them). All the parts you need are in the kit. It's not all that hard if you are careful about watching how it comes apart.

Use Naptha (coleman stove fuel) or just straight gas to clean it out, then blow the passages gently with air.

Lakeside53 said:
A screen that is "solid white" is blocked. Take your foam fuel filter and throw it a far away as you can, find $5 and buy a new Stihl filter. The new stihl filters are very good and rebuildable for about $2 (every year to two).

Don't dig out the screen and just try to clean it - you need to rebuild the carb... buy a K10-WAT kit ($5-12) depending on where you get them). All the parts you need are in the kit. It's not all that hard if you are careful about watching how it comes apart.

Use Naptha (coleman stove fuel) or just straight gas to clean it out, then blow the passages gently with air.
What Lakeside said. In fact what everyone said in reply to this original thread. Judgeing from your last post I'm guessing you have not worked on gasoline powered saws much. Assuming this is true, here's some things that will help you in the long run...find someone to help you rebuild the carb and replace the fuel filter. Everyone knows some retired farmer or mechanic right? But do the work yourself with them looking over your shoulder. Then have them help you service the chain and bar, filter, etc. It is really quite easy once you have the confidence.:) Pretty soon you'll be doing some chain sharpening. That will take a while to get down right...but well worth the effort.:bang:

Back