Stihl 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRTermite

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just got a 031 (AV) with the raised/cast in top cover. the ignition is dead and chip didn't solve the issue I think I need the early version parts manual and hopefully the complete collection so I can see what is interchangeable.
Thanks for all YA'LL do for us CAD VICTIMS.

I have a 031av as well I'm have to find the time to work on
My dad bought it new in the early to mid 70s he doesn't remember exactly

I just got a 031 (AV) with the raised/cast in top cover. the ignition is dead and chip didn't solve the issue I think I need the early version parts manual and hopefully the complete collection so I can see what is interchangeable.
Thanks for all YA'LL do for us CAD VICTIMS.
Chip? meaning generic electronic ignition module install. They are universal, and always work. You either got a bad module, or your flywheel is shifted on the crank key...

Chip? meaning generic electronic ignition module install. They are universal, and always work. You either got a bad module, or your flywheel is shifted on the crank key...
I got this saw as a parts saw from a small engine repair shop. He is a good mechanic but at 79 yrs old he said it wasn't worth his shoulder or time. I have known him for 50 plus years . He told me the coil is bad, I trust him YET will check it out myself. I have several of these 031 saws point/electronic so it will go on the shelf for something to tinker on this (or next) winter. I STATED that a CHIP did Not solve the issue Not that the chip was the issue. I wish I could take the time to dinker with it but that isn't going to happen for a while. Thanks for the Input ... When you say module are you meaning ignition coil? When I said "CHIP" I was thinking Trigger as in a NOVA chip to bypass the points. He said reversing the polarity never helped.

My 031AV just lost spark a few weeks ago. I am still running points and condenser, but with a known good condenser, points, flywheel and coil, switch, etc. The spark plug wire on mine had an internal break. The wire on these saws is easy to replace, and after 50 years are often in bad shape. It might be worth taking a look at that.

Latest posts

Back