STIHL 031AV, can it be dated exactly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supercharged86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dear Friends, I have a new to me 031AV and was wondering if the DOM can be ascertained by the serial number? It is a points version with the earlier starter emblem. Thanks in advance, Steve

Nope, closest clue would be using the carb. Tilly before 1978, walbro afterward. Serial number 4970520 was the cuttoff. Post of some pics for other clues.

Hi Gary, Thanks. Well it does have a Tilly HU3D carb but the serial number seems high, 8299253. Hmmm???

My 031AV also has Walbro carby.

Is it Stihl that is guarding the dates ? If so what would their reason be ?

Seem strange since there are possibly thousands of people fixing and restoring vintage/older Stihl chainsaws. And sometimes with exact dates the chainsaw could be worth more.

Attachments

• 20200215_151240.jpg
    20200215_151240.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I bought 031AV from a neighbor back in 1997 for $150 and it's has been the most reliable chainsaw I ever had!
Yes, it vibrates little more than modern saws and it's pretty heavy for what it is but it was built to last!
(I just replaced the AV dampeners but it made no difference!)

Serial No. 9744788
They must have built quite few of these!

Here are couple of photos
IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

that was my first stih; back in 79..my self and 2 friends cut 4 foot logs and they had 031 stihl. I had a mac10-10 for not long as air filter bolt broke off and locked the motor up.. at that point 031 was next and it was like xmass morning boy it was a BIG improvement..we chopped a lot of wood with those saws..today its 462 and 660

I didn't think Tillotson dated their carbs like Walbro did, but I did notice this number 73 on the side, cast not stamped though. Not sure if this means 1973???

DSC06917.JPGDSC06918.JPGDSC06919.JPG

I wouldn't rely on the carb being original to the saw, not after 40 years of use. I would say yours is on the older side though. The embossing on the top cover and the older style handle points to an older saw. It looks to be in very nice shape.

I wouldn't rely on the carb being original to the saw, not after 40 years of use. I would say yours is on the older side though. The embossing on the top cover and the older style handle points to an older saw. It looks to be in very nice shape.
True. It was more out of curiosity then necessity. The saw is in great shape with perfect piston/ring and compression. It is running but needs a new condenser, won't hold a charge of more than 25V.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Have you found a source of decent priced new condensers?
I have some vintage Homelite condensers that I'm hoping will fit in the space provided. But i think the Stihl condenser is flat and square (based on the IPL I seen), so i won't know until i get the flywheel off (waiting for the puller tool). I've got my fingers crossed though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks Supercharged86:

Yes I see what you mean, it gives part no. 1118 404 3400 and it is shaped as you described.
I have seen couple of vendors offering "conventional" cylindrical shaped ones as "used 031AV condenser", so I suppose the only way to find out is to pull the flywheel?

Many years ago my 031AV was acting as if it had a bad condenser, but the problem went away by itself quickly and has never been back since, so it was probably some carbon in the spark-plug.
I would likely buy a spare if I found reasonably priced one.

Can find flat Russian military oil caps on ebay in a number of sizes and values, mayhap one of these would work.I really have no idea of the ufd (microfarad) value that a chainsaw needs.(Edit)Upon further reading, it looks like 0.25 ufd at around 600volts is workable.

Back