Stihl 031AV yard sale find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrAzY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI everyone kinda new to the site, I watch it often to learn information about saws, And google brings me here quite a lot when doing searches for information lol, Stopped at a yard sale on saturday and there sat a old 031av for sale for $40, I asked the guy if it ran and he said it had been sitting for a long time and wasn't sure but told me i could test it if i wanted and he went on to say it still had gas in it from 3-4 years ago in it! So i was kind of disappointed to hear that and thought for sure it was probably all gummed up and messed up from old fuel sitting in it but i thought to myself what the hell i can still try it and even if it didn't run i could probably part it out to some one with a good one. I slowly pulled on the cord just to test compression and noticed it took quite a bit of pull to turn it over so i was happy about that, I put it in choke and pulled and pulled NO pop then shut off the choke and pulled and pulled and again no pop, Saddened by this i looked at my wife and said well it probably hasn't ran in a long time, I then went to pick up the saw off the ground and noticed my foot that had been between the handle holding it down to test it had accidentally clicked the ignition switch to the off position while pull starting it and i didn't notice, SO my eyes lit up with hope that maybe just maybe it didn't pop because of this mistake, So i put it on the ground again and put my foot in the handle and make sure it is on this time lol and put it on choke again and pull it after 3 pulls it pops! I got very excited!! I then shut off the choke and pull it another 2 times and omg It fired right up! And not only did it fire but it rev'd perfectly and after a couple good rev's i let off the gas and it idled like new, So of course i bought it i was so excited it ran and ran so well and only cost me 40 bucks! I took it home and went out to my woodpile and tried it on on some good 14 to 16 inch tree limbs i hadn't finished yet with my other saws and it cut beautifully and didn't bog down it just chewed thru that wood, Infact it cuts way better then my new ms251wb that has been in and out of the shop since i bought it never runs right. Anyway i thought i'd share this with you guys and sorry for the small posting that turned into a book lol.

Attachments

• 2017-08-21 08.07.57.jpg
    2017-08-21 08.07.57.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 49
  • 2017-08-21 08.08.05.jpg
    2017-08-21 08.08.05.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 2017-08-21 08.08.20.jpg
    2017-08-21 08.08.20.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 2017-08-21 08.08.30.jpg
    2017-08-21 08.08.30.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 45
HI everyone kinda new to the site, I watch it often to learn information about saws, And google brings me here quite a lot when doing searches for information lol, Stopped at a yard sale on saturday and there sat a old 031av for sale for $40, I asked the guy if it ran and he said it had been sitting for a long time and wasn't sure but told me i could test it if i wanted and he went on to say it still had gas in it from 3-4 years ago in it! So i was kind of disappointed to hear that and thought for sure it was probably all gummed up and messed up from old fuel sitting in it but i thought to myself what the hell i can still try it and even if it didn't run i could probably part it out to some one with a good one. I slowly pulled on the cord just to test compression and noticed it took quite a bit of pull to turn it over so i was happy about that, I put it in choke and pulled and pulled NO pop then shut off the choke and pulled and pulled and again no pop, Saddened by this i looked at my wife and said well it probably hasn't ran in a long time, I then went to pick up the saw off the ground and noticed my foot that had been between the handle holding it down to test it had accidentally clicked the ignition switch to the off position while pull starting it and i didn't notice, SO my eyes lit up with hope that maybe just maybe it didn't pop because of this mistake, So i put it on the ground again and put my foot in the handle and make sure it is on this time lol and put it on choke again and pull it after 3 pulls it pops! I got very excited!! I then shut off the choke and pull it another 2 times and omg It fired right up! And not only did it fire but it rev'd perfectly and after a couple good rev's i let off the gas and it idled like new, So of course i bought it i was so excited it ran and ran so well and only cost me 40 bucks! I took it home and went out to my woodpile and tried it on on some good 14 to 16 inch tree limbs i hadn't finished yet with my other saws and it cut beautifully and didn't bog down it just chewed thru that wood, Infact it cuts way better then my new ms251wb that has been in and out of the shop since i bought it never runs right. Anyway i thought i'd share this with you guys and sorry for the small posting that turned into a book lol.
Good score for a good price.:cool:

Thanks Grizz55chev only thing i noticed that is worn out is those av annular buffers and ebay wants more then i paid for the saw for all 4 lol, $42 dollars for all 4 those things should be few bucks a peice but obviously since it is vintage prices are being jacked up. Hopefully i can find some cheaper ones.

Thanks Grizz55chev only thing i noticed that is worn out is those av annular buffers and ebay wants more then i paid for the saw for all 4 lol, $42 dollars for all 4 those things should be few bucks a peice but obviously since it is vintage prices are being jacked up. Hopefully i can find some cheaper ones.
Keep searching, I'm sure you can find a better deal. Those buffers soften with time from oil saturation and wear, I wouldn't have a problem trying aftermarket on them, hutzul maybe?

031 is a great little firewood saw and you'll be well pleased. If you are looking for a part it wouldn't hurt to post in the chainsaw parts section asking around for what you need. Someone may have a parts saw laying around that could help you out. I would go that route before forking up a fortune on fleabay

031 is a great little firewood saw and you'll be well pleased. If you are looking for a part it wouldn't hurt to post in the chainsaw parts section asking around for what you need. Someone may have a parts saw laying around that could help you out. I would go that route before forking up a fortune on fleabay

I didn't see any parts section listed in chainsaw catg just the stickies, Where is the parts section?

I hear these are very durable, torquey little saws. The buffers might crossmatch to a couple of other models. Definitive Dave?

Yeah it seems like it has alot of power with the 20 bar on it i have heard from friends they have seen them pull up to a 28 bar no problem if your patient cutting lol I haven't seen any models that would cross match they all look slightly different then the 031's.

Thanks! Appreciate it.

I read that this old saw uses 40:1 but stihl no longer sells their 40:1 premix anymore is it safe to use a alternative premix +stabilizer such as TrueFuel 40:1 mix? I could mix it myself but i like premix that allready has premium oil plus the fuel stabilizers in it and 92 octane ethonol free so i don't have to throw away my fuel every 30 days not being used as stihl suggests. I have been using Opti-2 synthetic mix that claims 1 mix works with ANY ratio and any equipment and i have been running it in my old poulan's chainsaws and weedeaters ect for years without any issues but i don't know if i want to trust it in my stihl products or not it also has fuel stabilizer in it after it is mixed guaranteeing it is good for up to 1 year from time of mixing It's always worked well for me.

You got yourself a very good deal. Enjoy the power of that old saw. They can last a long time. Got any saw shops around that might help you with used parts?

No I sure don't I wish I did all we have here is box stores unfortunately.
Well, another option that I do frequently is visit scrap yards. They made a ton of those 031's that eventually get tossed. Some are in suprisingly good shape. Otherwise, keep searching on-line and ask for parts here on AS. Good luck.

I'm curious if i couldn't make some of my own out of rubber bumpers? They look pretty darn close to me and you can find all sorts of sizes on amazon simply typing in rubber bumpers in search, Of course they aren't designed for this purpose but would at least give me the use of the saw for a while until i find correct replacements if i could make some of these work at least on the back handle side.

I'm curious if i couldn't make some of my own out of rubber bumpers? They look pretty darn close to me and you can find all sorts of sizes on amazon simply typing in rubber bumpers in search, Of course they aren't designed for this purpose but would at least give me the use of the saw for a while until i find correct replacements if i could make some of these work at least on the back handle side.
Making your own would not be cost effective, they are readily available online for a reasonable price, keep searching.:cool:

My local ace hardware store/authorized Stihl dealer said he was able to order them for me directly from stihl still surprisingly just waiting for them to come in and he even offered to install them for me for free which is nice i do alot of business with them so i guess he isn't charging me because i am always coming in and buying saws and saw accessories so he gets paid one way or another lol.

Back